Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 91 XJ and just recently bought a 89 2 door( thats in better shape then my 91) 91 is rotten, can I just swap my 91 engine and transmission into the 89 2 door?? How much of a pita is it?? I've read a little about it but 1st time posting on here about a swap. Appreciate all yalls help. I know there's someone on here who has done it or is in the middle of it. I appreciate any and all help this is my first jeep build.
91 Xj 5.5" lift
31" Toyo Open Country
Unknown brand of hell yeah bumpers front and rear.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
As far as bolting it in, sure. The thing is that you will either need to swap computers and all associated wiring or swap intake/throttle body and sensors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have everything in my 91 and can drop it all in the 89? So just basically swap everything from my 91 to the 89 and I should be fine right??

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
That is correct

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright man sounds great, I plan on using everything I can off my 4 door that I possibly can.

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
You might want to change your instrument cluster over too to match your sensors

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have plans to do that as well, I like the looks of my cluster better then the old one plus mine has a tach as were the old one don't

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
👍

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your help man I really appreciate it, I'm sure there will be more questions comin soon

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is a lot of work I just took A 4.7 out of 2004 grand Cherokee full time 4 week drive replace It 4.0 Out of a2001 Grand Cherokee motor and transmission so now It not full time 4any more That was A hell of a lot of work and Money and I can't tell you how many hours I got into it but it"s running great but I don't think I'll do it again thanks for your time Smiley ✌

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a lot of work I just took A 4.7 out of 2004 grand Cherokee full time 4 week drive replace It 4.0 Out of a2001 Grand Cherokee motor and transmission so now It not full time 4any more That was A hell of a lot of work and Money and I can't tell you how many hours I got into it but it"s running great but I don't think I'll do it again thanks for your time Smiley ✌
I'm just doing a simple drop and swap, I hope it don't become a mess. Gonna make a few repairs on my HO motor while its out gaskets and a header and anything else I can fix while its out. Hopefully I can have it done before it gets cold

1 - 11 of 11 Posts