Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cherokee has this stumbling/ backfiring problem. I’ve had the plugs, wires, crankshaft sensor, and fuel pump/filter replaced. It still has the same problems. Worse when cold and going up hills. It also stumbles on the freeway. I feel it just drop power, and then it comes back. It has 220K miles with a 4 liter. Any ideas? It’s my work vehicle and I need it daily! Thanks in advance, Greg.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I would start with all the vacuum lines. Make sure none are cracked . they can get hard over time. Start the engine and with it idling, spray carb cleaner on the lines, if the engine picks up the idle you'll know where the leak is. Also Check your grounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
I wouldn't blame the computer without checking vacuum lines and grounds and making sure all your electrical connectors are clean. Also be careful buying cheap part stores components. They don't always work like they should. Hence the term cheap.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Is it throwing any codes? Have you had them read? Assuming you have a distributor, did you replace the cap when doing your tuneup of plugs and wires and such?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it throwing any codes? Have you had them read? Assuming you have a distributor, did you replace the cap when doing your tuneup of plugs and wires and such?
I had a mechanic do the work, don’t know if he did the cap. I don’t know about the codes. I’ll ask him, it really acts up after a freeway drive over 10 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts