Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm thinking Ballast Resistor... no problem. (BTW its an 01/89 Comanche.)
I go looking along the drivers side wheel well underneath both resevoirs- nothing.Hmm. Go looking underneath near headlight housing, found horn- good, found, headlight wiring - good. I was looking at the wiring and found nothing trailing off and found NO white porcelain peice...interesting. I did find a flat two inch plastic connector with round metal contact pins laying between the radiator resevoir and the windshiled wiper resevoir.

I next searched around the radiator hosing near the power steering nuckle...no dice. I looked on the engine compartment firewall- no resistor.... Could it be in a different location?:dunno:

The truck would turn over six or eight times (battery was low) and would not always start. I was able to get it started to drive out of the PO's :driveway :thumbsup:. I got it about 400 yards down road and it died. I wated and restarted after about twenty minutes and drove another 500 yards, coasted around corner into the parking lot of a local ace hardware. Now I am having it picked up and dropped off at my house for further work.

If the resistor is located elsewhere on the 01/89 (this is the sale date on the title) Comanche could you please advise a detailed location. Otherwise I am thinking of working backward from throttle body. I did look at the fuel filter but did not want to remove as I was in a public parking area and was short on time. I did see that the wiring led from the gas tank into the back of the cab below the drivers seat and then into the engine bay. Could the resistor be in the cab?:dunno:
The engine appears to be well cared for with new o2 and several other new items including alternator.... I am guessing PO had alot of parts replaced without finding this problem... probably told that the truck was done for, so he sold it.

Thanks in advance, I love the truck and want to take care of it. I will post pics tomorrow when the truck is at my house!
BTW I bought it for 350.00 and its got NO rust- just alot of the PO's crap inside of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy fast reply Batman!:bow:

Nope not yet. Guess that will be the next item on the price is right. So, what no ballast resistor?

Thanks man

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Holy fast reply Batman!:bow:

Nope not yet. Guess that will be the next item on the price is right. So, what no ballast resistor?

Thanks man
Honestly I dont know what symptoms a bad ballast resistor would cause so I couldnt help you with that one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem. Appreciate the reply. I will double-check on the commanche forum too. :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Resister is on the inside of the drivers side fender in the front. Doubt that's it but you can jump it to be sure. Wiggle your crank sensor wires, mine was doing the same thing and wiggling the wires got me home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply,

I will check that wiring today, hopefully thats the issue.

As far as the ballast resistor goes.... I can't find one anywhere. I spent several hours looking for one...the wiring is tight and I do not see any loose wire leading toward the fender area...
I am under the impression that the resistor should be near the air cleaner but I do not seem to have one... crazy. I checked the renix fsm info that was posted and found that a resistor should be located near the Plenum... could it be a Throttle Body mounted item in the 89'?

I also noticed a stray wire laying beneath the battery carrier, maybe it was supposed to be attached to the fuel pump relay? I will look today when I get it unloaded to see. I didn't think it would crank and run without this being attached.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses.... I am still working on the issue.

So I can start it, it idles fine. I can rev it up to 3k no problem. I can let the revs fall or remain high...doesn't matter. After 30 sec it dies.... acts like the ballast resistor problem, as it seems like a seconday system is trying to engage and it kills it.

BTW how do I post images from photobucket so you can see what I am seeing? is url link, email link, or copy shortcut from the pic in photobucket to post?

Thanks for the great info.... It all helps!

Jason... Anybody else on the western slope in Colorado?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMG]http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/windriverhorse/dsc_089-1.jpg[/IMG]

there my current photo's...waddya think? Thanks Kyle!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've spent some time with the Renix FSM and my Hayne's manual and this is direction I'm going in for now...

1. Check for clogged CAT. Start engine and check for exhaust flow. I'm assuming I don't have a clogged CAT.

2. It looks like there no Ballast Resistor, at least not in the usual places. So my problem could be fuel relay,ECM,or Fuel pump related. I think its probably a short... but this is how I plan to check

looking at the wiring diagram and seeing that the solid orange wire is supposed to relayed, through the fuel pump relay, to the red to keep the fuel pump going I will test and connect the wires so that the fuel pump runs.

If the truck runs this solves the problem by helping me isolate where I am running into trouble. Then I know its an electrical issue, maybe a bad ecu or other electronic component in the fuel line electric wiring. I can further isolate it and fix it correctly.

Why am I leaning this direction?
I can start the vehicle and idle it fine. I can run it to 3k or beyond no issue. either way it will sputter and die in about twenty or thirty seconds.

my line of thought seems sound to me... what do you think?

Thank you all for your input it has been very helpful
Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ergo a Vacuum line issue or fuel regulator... or like Gixxer said a clogged fuel line, which will be checked when I replace inline filter and check the outflow.

Anyway I am almost on my 4 days a week where I only work one 8 hour shift per day.... so I will have time with the truck, at least as long as the weather holds...

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It lives

:thumbsup:

So, I have my one day off from work and can dig into the engine... After degreasing the wiring and engine compartment and applying dielectric grease in all the requisite areas I jumper the fuel pump no problem.

It still won't run.... must be a spark issue. I call the PO and he tells me that he replaced the dwell? inside the distributor cap..Ok. He replaced the plugs (he put in autolites). He replaced alternator.
I get to looking at the coil... Hmm... go to checker and replace... I get to looking at the wiring and notice it says AMC... its the factory spark plug wires! :devil:

I go to checker and decide to by a nice bosch set and get a new distributor cap...

It cranks right up and purs like a hungry angry kitten... :cheers:

Now I have to get to fixing the minor mech stuff, the cosmetic crap, and the craky body stuff... Shocks and body cussions I imagine... So when spring comes I can put some 4wd under it with a lift kit and life will be very nice!

Thanks for all your help with my little manche

this thread is .......................:closed:

BTW nothing is better than driving your vehicle down the interstate at 85 and returning 120.00 worth of parts to the auto store you didn't need :thumbsup:... The guys at checker were great... the guy at carquest...:thumbdown:... He won't be seeing me again most likely!

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts