Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 91 Cherokee limited wouldn’t start changed auto shutdown relay and throttle sensor and started. Ran for 30 min then drove it next day half mile and it died. Now will only turn over again. Tried another relay and still won’t start. Any ideas what to check now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have a 91 Cherokee limited wouldn’t start changed auto shutdown relay and throttle sensor and started. Ran for 30 min then drove it next day half mile and it died. Now will only turn over again. Tried another relay and still won’t start. Any ideas what to check now.
I’m still getting codes 12 24 and 42

·
Super Moderator
11,054 Posts
code 12 is a battery connection issue to the ECM. I would start there and remove all ground connections, clean them and reinstall. The wiring in these jeeps are weak to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
11,054 Posts
On the firewall near the brake booster, there is a ceramic resistor. I lets full power (12v+) go to the coil when you are cranking the engine, then sends power through the resistor at a lower voltage to the coil while the engine is running. The coil doesn't need full voltage(12+) to run. it's usually closer to 9. If that little resistor goes bad it won't start. you can try jumping and see if it starts. you can run it like that for a short while, but too long and you can ruin your coil

·
Super Moderator
11,054 Posts
Ok.
The diagram shows a sync sensor, which I believe to be the cam sensor. It's under the distributor. It's used for injector timing. I had mine go bad and spent 3 days hunting down a no start issue. Not saying that's your problem because mine is a 96.
History has taught us that cheap sensors are a waste of money and the cause of many a headache. Buy the best you can afford. It's not uncommon to get bad part store sensors right out of the box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent the day checking grounds. So there is power to and through the resistor. But no power at coil. Does the hot go direct to the coil from the resistor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts