Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm going to be trying to find freon leak. I am anticipating having to removing ac lines and such. I've seen videos that use certain tools to disconnect lines. But mine is a 91 so would I need such tools or just ol wrenches. Also, if need to remove the ac lines going to radiator..or not radiator but ..condenser or evaporator. Sorry not sure what is called. But i heard they are tough to remove. Any suggestions on how to best approach.

There iis no freon in system right now. A few years back i tried putting some in but only lasted about half hour cooling until it ran out. I never did see where it was leaking from. I have already ordered manifold gauges and ac vacuum pump which i anticipate will need. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
First, find your leak before removing things. Get some refrigerant with dye in it if you need to. Look for telltale oil deposits around fittings and seals, including the compressor. The condenser coil is not all that difficult to replace, but generally the leak is not there. The most typical leak is at fittings and schrader valves

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, I considered using freon with uv dye to detect leak and also considering using pressurized air and soapy water and look for bubbles. I'm just wondering in case i do need to remove condenser if it will be hard to remove those lines . Also, would I need those special tools to release some springs or is it all just wrench. I have seen videos like i said but of newer model jeeps that are using those tools.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
It is easy to tell. If it looks like you can use a wrench on it, then you can

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely. Yea looks like wrenches. So i pumped some compressed air but see no leaks on copper lines, rubber hoses, joints, condenser, at least the exposed areas. Nothing coming out of compressor's low or high Schrader valves either. There is definitely a leak though. I pumped air to 115 psi on Low pressure side manifold gauge , and I see gauge losing about 1 psi's per about 5 minutes. I had it at 115 psi and about 10 minutes went by now its at like 113 psi. I guess maybe i should give it a dye shot. Or could leak be somewhere that is not visible? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
the only place not visible is the condenser core

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea maybe it's where its at. But i have to check what i mentioned earlier. Its been about an hour now and gauge went from 115 to 114. So losing very slowly. I'm just wondering maybe if 115 psi air pressure is enough to get a soap bubble going? I would like to get 150 psi in there but blue gauge reads to 120 then jumps to 250 retard. Not sure why. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also...as mentioned previously, i have put freon in there and it lasted probably about an hour cooling good then increasingly losing it. I would assume that the pressure in the lines is much higher with freon in the system than the 115 psi in there right now of compressed air. Being that seems to be a small leak relatively speaking, might it be worth it throwing some leak sealant in there?

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
As far as pressure goes, we always pressurized them at 400 psi. Even then, it is a slow process to find bubbles.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Also...as mentioned previously, i have put freon in there and it lasted probably about an hour cooling good then increasingly losing it. I would assume that the pressure in the lines is much higher with freon in the system than the 115 psi in there right now of compressed air. Being that seems to be a small leak relatively speaking, might it be worth it throwing some leak sealant in there?
On the high side, yes. You should see 250 - 300 psi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And, i apologise in advance, but the condenser core is referred to as the condenser itself or is the core a sub component?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, update. So i pumped air with compressor through the high port, the red side as opposed to the blue low side. My compressor could only get about 100 psi on the high side. Lo and behold i heard loud hiss coming from condenser. Hiss lasts about 5 minutes before air runs all out. I am spraying soapy water where sound coming from but see no bubbles. The Air leak must be facing away, towards the back of condenser i guess?

So on this condenser, there is the main condenser and in front middle lower part of main condenser is a little one. I suppose they are attached together and by ordering condenser for this vehicle it will come as one unit?

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Yes, a concenser is a condenser. Core is the actual finned part. But it comes as all one piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts