Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed coolant leak right where tranny and engine meet. Everything seems to indicate rear freeze plug? Ideas, suggestions, how to guides please..

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
The freeze plug is inside the bell housing. Have you ever pulled a transmission before?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
I would suggest you get a basic Chilton or Haynes manual and follow the steps they list. I think that is the best place to start if you have never done anything like that before

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ol thanks. Which one though? I heard one of them is really good and the other not so much. Can't remember whichine was highly preferred.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Haynes is usually better

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at Haynes repair manual it doesn't have a procedure for freeze plug removal. Chilton does but not very detailed. Seems they both have tranny removal and install. I guess that's about all i can get?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you searched for a FSM? You can usually find a hard copy or digital copy on ebay. The digitals are typically pretty cheap. The contents are much more complete than other 2nd hand manuals. I'll attach a picture so you can see the difference.
20210701_190520.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
I have always used a slide hammer with a large sheet metal screw inserted into the plug

Reactions: DaingMaing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced freeze plug. Was the one that we suspected. So now im to the point of bolting the four flex plate to torque converter bolts . From the removal instructions, it was said to mark the flex plate and torque converter positions So that it may be put back same way. I marked it but dont see it now for some reason. I did align the plate holes with converter holes by turning crank shaft. I hand tightened all four bolts. Before i torque them, will this be ok or does it have to go back same exact way as it was when taken apart?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
I wouldn
t worry about it. The time that is critical is if you have an engine balanced including the torque converter. The torque converter and flex plate are balanced at the factory separately. Maybe not necessarily down to a gnats eyebrow (gnats don't have them), but well enough. Tighten them up and happy motoring

Reactions: Dburleson

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I checked again and i did align them . Found the marks they were faded a little.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now the cross member holes not aligning with frame. I'm aligning middle of member with tranny mounting 4 bolts 4 middle holes on member. But frame and member holes not aligning. Well one side does but the other will be off a bit behind the frame holes. Any ideas, trick of the trades, suggestions? I'm putting member just the same as when it came off. Maybe lift tranny up some more, lift engine some more. Tranny is high enough the 4×4 and other linkages are even and hooked up. Don't want to break something. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
Allign one side then use a ratchet strap to pull it into place. Same when you do the front axle. Three will align but the fourth will not

Reactions: Jeep91

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got it! Hung one side with bolt halfway in, then went to other side and used 2×4 to push and align while hand tightening bolts in. It jst cooperated better today than yesterday i guess.

Now a new obstacle. The tranny oil pan plug is not going in smoothly like a should. Bolt plug looked a little bieat up so even bought new one. Still dame thing. Looking at hole threads looks like the bottom part thread is a bit worn. I did thread it in ever so gently and got bolt in almost to where head is up against bottom of pan but not quite. Washers? tap it? maybe pour oil in since maybe already sealed? If tap in it, what tap size. Almost there this is so frustrating. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
You can get self tapping oversize plugs. But you should do it with the pan off

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plug It's a M10-1.50 and the head is 14mm. I went ahead and slapped a washer and threw thread sealant see how it does. Tightened and now of course washer is up against the pan closing the slight gap from before. I tightened pretty good but not soo much to snap bolt off. I wonder though if enough. Looking for torque specs for plug?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright , refilled tranny oil, fired it up and no leaks; water nor oil. Now, new issue. Temp gauge did not go up at all while test driving. Suddenly it shot all the way to red then all the way back down again right away. Did same couple of times then i just parked it. Not sure if it's overheating since gauge sporadic like that. Ideas, suggestions, comments. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure if relevant but before deciding to replace freeze plug, i tried some leak sealant. I noticed temperature went higher. So i drained radiator before beginning plug installation to get rid of that crap which maybe plugged the rad. I refilled with fresh water to do cooling pressure test and left it like that. Might there be air in system?

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
Don't leave plain tap water in your cooling system. It will rust the steel components pretty quick. But it sounds like you have air in the system. If the temp sensor is in an air pocket it well give a false reading, then when it suddenly gets submerged in coolant the temp well spike. Air does not transfer heat as efficiently as water (coolant)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts