Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am fixing to buy a new radio and set of speakers for my '93 4 door. Does anyone have a link to drawings of the dash removal and the wiring diagram for the head unit?

And has anyone put speakers in the back hatch without having factory speakers to replace back there? My hatch is bare, so will be cutting new holes in it and fishing the wire down there. Have done minor radio work before, but always had bought through Crutchfield and had the free harnesses and instructions. ($90 for Sony head unit w/ remote and aux input, 2 - 6-1/2" speakers, and 2 - 6x9's at Wally World!!) This time I found too good of a deal to buy through Crutchfield, so no instructions or free harnesses. For the price of a cheap CD player from them I got a whole set up to replace the crap AM/FM radio and cheesy dash speakers!

Anyway, just looking for some diagrams if anyone knows where they might be. Been Googling it all day and keep finding sites where ya have to pay for it....will go at it solo before I pay some site for a picture....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You can buy a harness that'll match all your factory harness colors. Some splice connectors and 10 minutes and you're all done. Shouldn't be more than $15 at walmart. I want to say that it plugs into the factory harness plug and then you splice it to the headunit wires but it's been a few years since my last stereo upgrade so don't hold me to that.
Dash removal is as simple as four screws, one on the upper part inside the bezel where the headlight switch is, two in the top of the gauges, and one down by the cigarette lighter, same location as the one in the headlight bezel.
Then all you do is give the trim a decent yank and it'll pop off. It seems like the plastic will break but it won't, surprisingly resilient stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was probably going to find one of those for the install, but I had just stumbled across the wiring diagram so figured I would post the link if anyone else had a need too. As for taking the dash apart, it appears to just be the handful of screws, but I wasn't sure since it looks like the entire thing has to come off to get to the radio. I will have to run speaker wires to where ever I mount the new speakers since my XJ is a former government model so it is stripped down to the bone. I think it has 2 blown 4" speakers in the dash, and barely AM/FM with no cassette. Will post some pics once I get it done. Keeping it up to date on my FB page as well for some friends up in the New England area who we don't see much.

Thanks for the help and have a good Christmas!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Just my $.02, don't put speakers in your tailgate. It's a PITA, and will rattle. I would just buy a decent set of 5.25" and put them in your soundbar, or wherever the stock speakers are located.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my $.02, don't put speakers in your tailgate. It's a PITA, and will rattle. I would just buy a decent set of 5.25" and put them in your soundbar, or wherever the stock speakers are located.
That's the problem. This the thing is so stripped down, it only has 4" speakers in the dash. Nothing in the doors, no soundbar, etc...there are no stock locations to replace the speakers at (besides the 4" in the dash).

Will come up with a plan even if it means installing them in boxes to kick around in the back for a while. If I do put them in the hatch, I plan on using some dynamat to deaden the door.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's the plastic trim over the interior of the hatch that I'd pay more attention to. I pulled mine off and coated the inside with a rattle-can undercoating from autozone since my subs would rattle the living piss out of it. And the third brake light. And a few loose screws on the bumper. Heh.
Check around on some XJ and Jeep forums, see if anyone that's parting out a Cherokee has a soundbar available. I had speakers in my hatch, and with even a moderate cargo (such as my 31" spare) the sound was muffled. Swapped over to a soundbar and it was night and day, plus a LOT easier to wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the plastic trim over the interior of the hatch that I'd pay more attention to. I pulled mine off and coated the inside with a rattle-can undercoating from autozone since my subs would rattle the living piss out of it. And the third brake light. And a few loose screws on the bumper. Heh.
Check around on some XJ and Jeep forums, see if anyone that's parting out a Cherokee has a soundbar available. I had speakers in my hatch, and with even a moderate cargo (such as my 31" spare) the sound was muffled. Swapped over to a soundbar and it was night and day, plus a LOT easier to wire.
do you have a picture of that sound bar by chance?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't sorry, all my pics are of the exterior. You should be able to google one, and I'm sure someone on here can post one up. It sits up against the headliner and runs side to side, right where the cargo domelight is. Soundbar has it's own light too. Kind of angles the speakers forwards a bit too for better sound imaging IIRC.

Edit: found one off google, has aftermarket speakers in it. Factory look has matched upholstery mesh over the speakers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you buy from Crutchfield, they'll provide you with the master install kit and the necesary installation manuals.
Been there, done that, but for $90 I got a Sony CD player and 4 speakers. Couldn't get that at Crutchfield. I will just have to be creative getting the new speakers in since this one doesn't really have any (not counting the cheesy speakers in the dash).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't sorry, all my pics are of the exterior. You should be able to google one, and I'm sure someone on here can post one up. It sits up against the headliner and runs side to side, right where the cargo domelight is. Soundbar has it's own light too. Kind of angles the speakers forwards a bit too for better sound imaging IIRC.

Edit: found one off google, has aftermarket speakers in it. Factory look has matched upholstery mesh over the speakers.
This could be a viable option....was that 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speakers? Going to go Google it now and see what I find.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My 93 just had 2 5.25" speakers in the doors. I pulled the hatch panel off and there were provisions for 2 speakers and the wiring was all already there. The clips for my hatch panel were pretty messed up so I had to screw it back on.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
My 93 just had 2 5.25" speakers in the doors. I pulled the hatch panel off and there were provisions for 2 speakers and the wiring was all already there. The clips for my hatch panel were pretty messed up so I had to screw it back on.
Yeah same thing happened with the people that owned my jeep before me. They put 6x9s in the back tailgate and in the mean time destroyed almost ever clip so it would hang down and rattle.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I recently swapped over to heavy duty velco strips to hold the rear panel on... Swapped in some extra reverse lights (sit flush in the license plate pocket) and was getting tired of worrying about clips or screws. Helps with the rattling issue as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts