Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Jeep several months back, (1993, auto, 4.0)and been driving the heck out of it. I get home and park it one night, wake up the next morning to go hunting and nothing. I turn the key to start it but it doesn't attempt to crank. All my interior lights, radio, headlights, gauges, etc work as normal. Ive tried wiggling the swifter in neutral, still nothing, so Im thinking its not NSS?

I can leave the key in the crank postion, get under the jeep and bump the starter with a screw driver and it starts right up. Ive checked battery, batt. cable, relays and fuses.

Ive read some about bypassing the ignition relay, or removing a cap and running a wire down to the starter but Im not following exactly what they were talking about. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Ive found this thread to be the most helpful: http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f20/xj-will-not-start-need-help-asap-16927/index2.html

As far as the ignition switch, I found this video:

Theres no way the LS711 ignition sits in my steering column, its too bulky. Ive got the one piece tilt column (so it appears to be) that looks like you have to remove the steering wheel to get into it. For this type of column is the ignition switch located somewhere else, maybe on down the column toward the firewall?

This isn't a daily driver but a weekend warrior so I don't mind "rigging" something up to make it start. The cheaper the better. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
hitting the starter to make it crank is generally regarded as bad starter. Therefore you have answered your own question. If possible have it tested to make sure. Unless, you are specifically asking to wire in a push button starter?? :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hitting the starter to make it crank is generally regarded as bad starter. Therefore you have answered your own question. If possible have it tested to make sure. Unless, you are specifically asking to wire in a push button starter?? :dunno:
Prolly should have added that its a brand new starter, my bad. Put it on two days ago thinking that was the issue and it was a no go :(

Also when I put it into reverse, I DO have reverse lights so this tells me its not NSS correct?

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
Prolly should have added that its a brand new starter, my bad. Put it on two days ago thinking that was the issue and it was a no go :(

Also when I put it into reverse, I DO have reverse lights so this tells me its not NSS correct?
I "think" having reverse lights confirms a good NSS.

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
OK Bro, here is the wiring for the igniton switch start circuit. You may have loose connections in the steering column.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the schematics, that shed's some light on tracing what's what.

Where exactly is my ignition swtich located? Im hoping under the dash somewhere and the steering column doesn't have to some apart *fingers crossed!

.... from what Ive read under just below the dash on the colmn so no need to take the column apart unless Im replacing the tumblers. Does this sound right?

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
Never had mine apart. But according to the video, it's right on the side where the key goes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
It's the starter, the solenoid, or a bad connection at the solenoid or starter.
Not necessarily true...

It could still be the ignition switch or a bad nss although the OP still has reverse lights.

Ask me how i know?
:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
Here is a diagram of the switch removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Ya, I'm leaning towards a bad ignition switch also... :unsure:

A quick and easy test to confirm would be to turn on the blower motor on your heater, and attempt to start. The fan should shut off as the ignition switch cycles into the 'start' position. If the fan doesn't shut off, that would indicate a bad switch.

I've found this to be true, and i think the test is valid in "most" cases.

GL
;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya, I'm leaning towards a bad ignition switch also... :unsure:

A quick and easy test to confirm would be to turn on the blower motor on your heater, and attempt to start. The fan should shut off as the ignition switch cycles into the 'start' position. If the fan doesn't shut off, that would indicate a bad switch.

I've found this to be true, and i think the test is valid in "most" cases.

GL
;)
Good deal Ill give this a try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts