Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !

Is it possible to put in a 2016 Model 4.7 V-8 into my old Grand Cherokee Limited 1994 ? If so will I have to make changes to the radiator, suspension and other items like the alternator etc.?

Thanks and regards
Javaid.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Anything is possible with a welder, torch a BFH. But a 2016 engine into a 94 is quite a task. 94 is OBD I. 2016 is OBD II but it's also can, which means the computers are very different. All the engine wiring will be different, you may be able to by A programmer and build a whole new wiring harness. A V-8 Will fit in the engine compartment. The 4.0 6 cylinder is long. And some grand cherokees came with aV-8. You'll probably need custom motor mounts. So I don't think any changes to the radiator will be needed. Suspension should be ok, may need like a 1 to 2 inch lift spring to compensate for any extra weight.

Are you planning on moving the transmission and tcase. Or just mount the engine to the stock tranny? That may be an issue, it may require a custom adapter plate.

What is your reasoning for this swap?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
My transmission was shot completely and could not get a replacement here in Pakistan so have put in a Toyota 2JZ engine with auto trans. Now I feel the engine is kind of underpowered for the car and want to put in a bigger engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
You may be further ahead by regearing the differentials.. In the U.S. it's about $1000-$1500 to have it done in a shop. Less than half that if you buy the parts and do it yourself, but gears are very technical and tolerances are specific and can't be guessed at. .001 is the difference between perfect and ruined gears. Not trying to scare you, but gears are the one thing that's requires perfection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa! Thanks so much for your advise and guidance friend. I guess I'll just try and look for a reman. 42RE transmission and a 4.0 in-line 6 .
thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts