Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

94 Sport build

8K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  offroadohio 
#1 ·
I will be picking up my new toy thursday. Will cost me $250.

4.0L I-6, AX15 5 speed manual. Runs and drives good except issue with 4WD. 146K miles. No leaks except a little antifreeze.

ISSUES:

4WD isn't working properly - may just be a vacuum leak, could be serious.

rusty rocker panels

passenger window only goes down halfway

Hard to get into reverse.

Going to pick up a set of 4.5" springs for $40. along with a free s10 leaf pack from my cousin. trim the fenders to stuff my $75 Dunlop Mud Rovers.

Have an adjustable track bar and adjustab le LCA's on the way used from ebay already (under $100 total)

Wil weld the carriers front and rear and beat on it as is for now.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Swapping an 29sp 8.25 in as I just found one at a decent price that is already welded. I also have a wagoneer d44 layind here I may put in later on this year. My utlimate plan is 35" KM2's with lots of body and rollover protection and not much else. I'll upgrade the axles to hold the 35's and my heavy foot. But do to fundage I'm staying pretty clost to stock and 33's until later 09.

#8 ·
I think they guy makes things out worst than they are. I was told the rim was badly rusted to the jeep, come to find out the chrome caps on the lug nuts are expanded and the 4way doesnt fit correctly. Simple fix with a chisel and a 18mm socket.

I will make a bet that it hasnt seen much 4wd usage and the linakges are all goofed up/rusty so its not completely engaging. He said there is a grinding noise from under the seat when in 4wd and the fronts dont engage. If it is a tcase issue, I will go to the yard pay them $50 and be on my way.

#9 ·
I brought it home yesterday. As I had thought I found no real issues with the 4wd. At his house I pulled it into 4hi and it made a grinding noise the whole time drove across the field to the driveway.

I loaded it on the towdolley behind my liberty and removed the rear shaft.
I towed it over 300miles (had about 4 other stops to make around the state getting parts.

At my final stop I had two sets of wheels, a np435/205 combo, 6 tires, a liberty lift kit ( springs shocks struts ect) an air tank, and a wagoneer dana 44 front with driveshaft and steering components. stuffed in the back of the xj, and I had my self, my dog, and my buddy in the Liberty. I hit the interstate with cruise set at 80mph.

Got home unloaded the xj and clicked it into 4lo, nothing happened, jerked realyl har don the shifted and it popped in. No lises, switched to 4hino noises either, went back to 2w, then abck to 4hi and got the noise, pulled the shifter while at a roll and it popped completely in and the noise went away... its all in a stiff shifter.

Time to start building.

#15 ·
Those are liberty stuff, not xj.

Reds are rear coils. blacks are a set of brand heavy duty diesel libberty coils. my liberty lift has medium duty coils installe don the frotn struts. I'm putting the diesel HR coils in to support the winch and bumper it will get.... but thats all for a differant thread :)

#16 ·
More parts arrived today.

I drove to Lexington Ky where I met up with a guy from NAXJA, and purchased a 29 spline 8.25, welded and two spare shafts.

I then stopped by a good friend of mines machine shop as I havent seen him in quite some time. He just so happened to have a nice set of unused custom built upper control arms that he built for his wifes cherokee before he wrecked it. He put them in my hand and told me merry christmas. Now if I can find a set of tubular lowers I will have a complete lift for damn dirt cheap. I am still at less than $500 total invested.

#20 ·
I woudl say the dog thought the arm was a bone.. it has similar appearance

Pulled this baby in the garage today, didnt get to far before I ran out of cut off wheels and sawzall blades.

I also have to find an air compressor I can borrow as mine blew up last year and I never repalced it. turining bolt sby hand trying to remove the rear axle and front control arms is a PITA.

I did get the fenders trimmed and the rockers cut out... now if I cna get the air compressor so I can get these botls out of the axles.

I'll keep yall updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.