Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so some call it a fly wheel and some call it a flex plate. For the sake of ordering parts it's a flex plate.

The question ... what is the easiest way to change one on a 94 ZJ? Some say pull the engine, some say drop the tranny. I would rather drop the tranny. I know I have to keep the crank from spinning while doing it, but having never changed one before, not sure what the best procedure is.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
444 Posts
its a flex plate on automatic transmissions and a fly wheel on manual transmissions.. but whoever says pull the engine to change a flex plate....... is one special breed.. you need to pull your starter first than the lower portions of the inspection cover. There will be 4 bots that bolt the flex plate to the torque converter, take those out.. it'll take two people.. one take the bolts out, the other with a 3/4 socket and a breaker bar holding the other end of the crank.. (the bolt that holds the harmonic balencer on)
so get those four bolts out.. pull your driveshafts.. disconnect the linkage for the t-case from the body.. **make a mark on the linkage so you'll be sure to get it adjusted in the right spot when you put it back in** then take a floor jack put it on the tranny crossmember, take the weight off then take the 4 bolts holding that crossmember on out.. then slide the tranny back just enough to get the the bolts that hold the flex plate to the crank.. pull those.. put your new flex plate in **dont forget red locktite!!!!** then do everthing i just told you in reverse..

make sure you put the right bolts back in the right holes.. a buddy of mine bought an XJ that someone had messed with the tranny and they put bolts that were to long in torque converter.. so they would bottom out in the hole before they were tight.. all the red locktite in the world wouldn't keep them tight

hope this helps

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a flex plate on automatic transmissions and a fly wheel on manual transmissions.. but whoever says pull the engine to change a flex plate....... is one special breed.. you need to pull your starter first than the lower portions of the inspection cover. There will be 4 bots that bolt the flex plate to the torque converter, take those out.. it'll take two people.. one take the bolts out, the other with a 3/4 socket and a breaker bar holding the other end of the crank.. (the bolt that holds the harmonic balencer on)
so get those four bolts out.. pull your driveshafts.. disconnect the linkage for the t-case from the body.. **make a mark on the linkage so you'll be sure to get it adjusted in the right spot when you put it back in** then take a floor jack put it on the tranny crossmember, take the weight off then take the 4 bolts holding that crossmember on out.. then slide the tranny back just enough to get the the bolts that hold the flex plate to the crank.. pull those.. put your new flex plate in **dont forget red locktite!!!!** then do everthing i just told you in reverse..

make sure you put the right bolts back in the right holes.. a buddy of mine bought an XJ that someone had messed with the tranny and they put bolts that were to long in torque converter.. so they would bottom out in the hole before they were tight.. all the red locktite in the world wouldn't keep them tight

hope this helps
Awesome! Thank you very much for the insight. It's my son's ZJ and he phoned a few shops for a quote and both told him they needed to yard the engine and quoted him $1100 and $1400 respectively.

I immediately called bull nuggets and came here for another opinion :D Seems simpler to me to go in through the tranny too. Great instructions!

Thanks for clearing up the fly wheel flex plate thing too :cheers:

·
Registered
444 Posts
no biggie.. but you shouldn't need to COMPLETELY pull it you just need to slide it back just enough to get your hand and a wrench up on the crank.. i also forgot one part.. the bell housing bolts.. the bottom two are just plain jane bolts.. 16mm i think they are.. but the top two are funny lookin.. they look like a male torques head.. i use a 10mm socket.. be really careful when taking these out.. doesn't take much to strip them.. you'll want to drop the tranny crossmember as far as you can to get to the top bolts...

another thing.. im assuming this is a 4.0L with the AW-4.. is that what your ZJ has??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the 42RE Tranny, but should be a similar procedure. A guy on another site warned me about the BH bolts too - an E13 Torx or something. I will have to take a look and make sure I have the right tool. I have most of those oddball things for my XJ already :rofl:

·
Registered
444 Posts
well shoot.. if your going through all that trouble might as well completely pull it out and bolt an AW-4 231 set up in there.. much more reliable..
flex plates.. thats a different story.. all jeep flex plates suck..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:agree:

lol if it was mine I would have done it already! The 42RE is a turd tranny and my son's is no exception.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Well, if ya didn't already swap it out, an d you need a hand, give me a shout...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might do that Craig, thanks :cheers:

The boy has to save up his fun tickets to buy the parts first :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts