Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my XJ in february this year, after installing 1.25 " wheel spacers I noticed that the rear axle seems to be off center, is this normal?
It looks like about an inch toward the passenger side.
The new tires ( 255 x 75 x 15 ) on stock 5 spoke 15 x 7 aluminum wheels,
obviously out side the fender flare on the passenger side, but not on the driver side.
I can not see any reason for this as the axle seems to be mounted properly on both spring perches.
Any help?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I would check to see if it's a bent leaf spring, mount, or frame.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be but Very difficult to see.
I don't see anything obvious.
Have to get under with a tape messure to see what is going on.
It all looks prefect.
This XJ looks like it has never been off road.
No body or frame damage.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
That's really weird. The only thing that centers the rear axle is the leaf springs, so it has to be the perches, leafs, mount or the frame. I wish I could be more help but measuring everything would be a good place to start like you said.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have heard of some vehicles being off like that from the factory. But I've not heard that about XJs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you may be onto somthing.
I did a lot of measuring and it all seems reasonably close, within an eighth to a quarter of an inch on all the points mentioned.
I may have to divise a way to check if my springs are bent short of removing them.
I may run a string between the frount spring mount to the shacle mount but the u bolts
prevent getting close to the spring so I don't know if that may help see if they are bent.
Thanks for the help.
If I get this solved I will post what I have found.

·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
did you measure the distance from the perches to the brakes?

it sounds like your axle was welded in off center a bent leaf spring is possible but very unlikley.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
did you measure the distance from the perches to the brakes?

it sounds like your axle was welded in off center a bent leaf spring is possible but very unlikley.
x2 thats where id measure

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Run a bob from the outside frame rail on both sides and measure distance from that to the brakes. If it's off then it's the springs that are fubar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all your help.
I have some more checking to do but found somthing interesting today.
I started in on removing all the steering linkage to relace whith Rugged Ridge cross over
tie rods and JKS track bar that is why I was so concerned with the position of the rear
as I was looking forward to a four wheel alignment.
I set the rear up on jack stands and jacked up the frount end under the differential for more room to work. Went to get another jack stand and noticed the rear axle had shifted back to near centered due to flex jacking the front axle under its differential.
Long story short ... mabey my driver side springs are sagging enough to cause rear axle shift to the left!?
I made a funny sound like Patrick Starfish and said "" Dah... I Know I Know "
I only got as far as pulling all the old stuff and had to go out on a service call so...
More to do after I get back to it tomorrow I hope.
But not looking happy at the thought of needing springs.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just replaced the whole spring setup on my wrangler. It was just busy work...but really straight forward. You cant really mess it up.

For your springs, just do a bastard pack and call it good. Its cheap and plentiful at the JY. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all your help.
I have some more checking to do but found somthing interesting today.
I started in on removing all the steering linkage to relace whith Rugged Ridge cross over
tie rods and JKS track bar that is why I was so concerned with the position of the rear
as I was looking forward to a four wheel alignment.
I set the rear up on jack stands and jacked up the frount end under the differential for more room to work. Went to get another jack stand and noticed the rear axle had shifted back to near centered due to flex jacking the front axle under its differential.
Long story short ... mabey my driver side springs are sagging enough to cause rear axle shift to the left!?
I made a funny sound like Patrick Starfish and said "" Dah... I Know I Know "
I only got as far as pulling all the old stuff and had to go out on a service call so...
More to do after I get back to it tomorrow I hope.
But not looking happy at the thought of needing springs.
Sounds like bad springs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I offer this challenge.
In my quest for the answere as to why my rear axle is off center,
I have now looked at three other XJ's 2) 4x4 and 1) 4x2.
all looked like the axle is off center like mine.
I gould not really get a tape measure out but one of them I cought the owner at the gas station, we checked with a piece of ridged wire and found his axle off the same as mine.
So who would like to check to see if you measure from the inner fenderwell to the out side of tire tread on each side and compaire.
I know alot of you may not be able to check that easy if you have a high lift.
I have gone as far as my local Jeep dealer and all the service guys that would talk to me were baffeled, they agree my axle is off set to the pasenger side, they have never noticed that before and had no explanation. Unfortunatly they all seemed kind of pissed off that I found somthing they could not explain and did not want to do any digging into their own resouces for me.
My new theory is: could it be possible the offset axle is built into the XJ to create a thrust ange.
And if so how should we all be setting up the track bar if you are lifted and have an adjustable track bar, because if you center the frount end and the rear is offset,your XJ is going to be crabbing like a NASCAR.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
wow i have a completely stock xj and went out to test for ya, my passenger side is a noticeable 1/2" difference using a tape measure. must come factory like that

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Mine is centered but I have aftermarket suspension components.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Did the centering pins for the leaf packs snap? That would cause a shift if the U-bolts were not properly torqued. And if you flexed it like mad you may have shifted it. Just a thought.

You may be correct on a thrust angle. On some years the wheel base is 10mm difference on the right and left side to try to compensate for crowning of the road. Maybe the rear is set up that way to help it out?

I never noticed this on mine. Now you have me curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Guys! I have still been looking online but no answer yet and no time to wrench on mine
Waiting for the MX6 shocks to come in so I hope to find an answer soon.
I messed up my knee working on a tracktor so I am kind of out of commission for now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Guys! I have still been looking online but no answer yet and no time to wrench on mine
Waiting for the MX6 shocks to come in so I hope to find an answer soon.
I messed up my knee working on a tracktor so I am kind of out of commission for now.
When my XJ was stock i noticed the same problem. I just figured my leaf packs were shot, which they were. After lifting and and gettin all new suspension parts it is no longer off centered. Are you lifted?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks SSXJ that is very interesting.
I have only a 1.5 inch coil spacer and shackle lift, 1.25 wheel spacers so I
could fit 255x70x15 General Grabber AT2s.
Thats when I became aware of the problem.
Now my leafs do look almost flat so I did not know if that was normal as stock
ride hight was about 17.5" center of rear wheel to the bottom of fender flair.
I think somone told me that was stock.
But I never did take loose the front end of the springs and maybe the bushing could
be bad. I did try to pry on it up an down when I had both un loaded and saw no problem.
I was looking at the springs available at Morris 4WD so you know I was headed that way.
I was hoping that I did not have to do that, I like to drive fast on the road and like the
ride hight where it is now about 19" and feels real good on these tires.
As someone else said however that he has found leafs the sort of lean to one side,
it coud be bad springs.
Sounds like you just proved it on your XJ.
How do you like the Flow 40 on yours? I have a similar Thrush welded SS yet to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did the centering pins for the leaf packs snap? That would cause a shift if the U-bolts were not properly torqued. And if you flexed it like mad you may have shifted it. Just a thought.

You may be correct on a thrust angle. On some years the wheel base is 10mm difference on the right and left side to try to compensate for crowning of the road. Maybe the rear is set up that way to help it out?

I never noticed this on mine. Now you have me curious.
That is very interesting as well.
How did you find out some have a 10 mm difference in wheel base?:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts