Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 1996 XJ and when I am cruising at 45 and up it will not shift down a gear when I push the pedal. It just slowly accelerates in 4th gear even if it is floored. I put on a new TPS and reset the kick down cable. What else can I do get it to downshift into a “passing gear”? Should I jump into changing out the shift solenoids under the transmission oil pan. Anything else I can do?

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Any check engine lights? Have you scanned for any codes?

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Well, the only thing I can think of then is that the kick down cable is not adjusted properly. If you have no codes then I don't think you have any problems with the solenoids. I assume it goes up through all gears properly when accelerating from a stop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the only thing I can think of then is that the kick down cable is not adjusted properly. If you have no codes then I don't think you have any problems with the solenoids. I assume it goes up through all gears properly when accelerating from a stop
Yes it does go through the gears properly. Could the kickdown cable be stretched? I have pushed the button and reset it a couple times.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I suppose it could be, or a bracket bent. Try making it shorter and see what happens

1 - 6 of 6 Posts