Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is an old question...

I have found a cheap good condition 2WD 97 XJ with a blown trans and I happen to have a 99 4WD complete parts Jeep that can no longer be registered and is in great shape.

How much trouble am I in if I want to change it over to 4WD? I have a fair amount of experience doing fabrication and builds.

Am I nuts?

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Perhaps this is an old question...

I have found a cheap good condition 2WD 97 XJ with a blown trans and I happen to have a 99 4WD complete parts Jeep that can no longer be registered and is in great shape.

How much trouble am I in if I want to change it over to 4WD? I have a fair amount of experience doing fabrication and builds.

Am I nuts?
This question never gets old Bro! Haven't done mine yet, but it's EASY :thumbsup: No modifications or fabrication at all.

Just do-it, nobody here can talk you out of it Dude! :rock:

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah it's basically a direct bolt on. All you need is the front axle, front/rear driveshafts, tcase and tranny. In your case you have all of the above :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question on this subject..
Are the wiring harnesses on a 2wd complete with all the connectors for the t-case, etc.?
ECMs are compatible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Quick question on this subject..
Are the wiring harnesses on a 2wd complete with all the connectors for the t-case, etc.?
ECMs are compatible?

Thanks.

ECM's are compatible, however not sure about the Transmission Control Module's between 2WD and 4WD.

The way that i understand it is, the TCM's for all AW4's are compatible as long as they're from the same "generation", ('91-'96 and '97-'01...)

Am i wrong? :dunno:

·
Registered
557 Posts
ECM's are compatible, however not sure about the Transmission Control Module's between 2WD and 4WD.

The way that i understand it is, the TCM's for all AW4's are compatible as long as they're from the same "generation", ('91-'96 and '97-'01...)

Am i wrong? :dunno:

When i converted my 94 to 4wd i used my 88's trans and transfer, plugs were the same. I also used the original 94 2wd TCU.. their compatable too.

I think i'v read about a plug change on the AW-4 around 99?

AKChevelle.. i lengthened my 2wd harness to reach back to the transfercase.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Jim, you're all set to do that swap- if your parts Jeep is the same generation, it's literally a drop-n-swap. I plan on doing this with that Comanche we've been talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You don't need to do a Rear axle swap just make sure the gearing is the same from front to back. You just have to look around or re-gear either your front or rear driffs. There should be an Axle tag w/ the numbers so you know what gearing it is...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well first you need an axle, upper and lower control arms, track bar, transfer case, selector, and then most likely some cutting and welding for the control arms

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Well first you need an axle, upper and lower control arms, track bar, transfer case, selector, and then most likely some cutting and welding for the control arms
No you don't need to cut and weld for the control arms. The front end is the same exact set up if its a 2wd or 4wd the 2wd drives are just a straight tube. The swap is completely bolt in.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
You need a transmission, as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
'96 Cherokee 2wd to 4wd

Hey guys,

I am trying to follow the same swap. From what I gather, to complete the swap I would need from a 4wd donor:

*To make sure the axles are similarily geared
*Need upper and lower control arms
*Need a track bar
*Need a transfer case
*Need a selector

Could I use the tranny in my 2wd without any modifications right off the bat?

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
You don't need the control arms or track bar, everything suspension-wise is the same.

You may be able to just change the tailhousing, but I'm not too sure. AW-4's are reasonably cheap anyway, might as well just get a whole transmission.

You will need a new rear driveshaft, though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts