Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
ECM's are compatible, however not sure about the Transmission Control Module's between 2WD and 4WD.

The way that i understand it is, the TCM's for all AW4's are compatible as long as they're from the same "generation", ('91-'96 and '97-'01...)

Am i wrong? :dunno:
i did my swap about 3 months ago you will have to extend the speedometer plug in on a 2wd as it is in the trans and the 4wd plug in is in the transfer case

·
Registered
59 Posts
I understand that you may need to change the wiring harness when going from auto to manual. Can anyone validate?
you should just be able to not plug in the wires that go to the auto except for your revers light plug in and disconnect your neutral safety switch and then your key switch should work

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Yupp!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Just installed transmission from a 98 jeep Cherokee xj, Into a 97 Jeep Cherokee XJ. The 97 transmission has an output and input sensor but the 98 transmission only has one sensor. It runs at cranks and drives fine but when it comes to shifting it does not shift correctly but it is very smooth. Any ideas? And yes I’ve changed out a new transfer case and pretty much rebuild this vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
funny foot note i picked up a blown 86 2wd and put that front axel on my 88 4x4 , and i gotta say cause i live around high desert its a joy to drive you just gotta have wide rubber on the rear . but i was so surprised and that turning radius. i run 33 infront narrow like 9 and halfs and 32 x12 in rear like a dune buggy no 4x4 gear drag extra weight , i dont crawl and if i did well 4x4 only way but for like prerunning and sand 2wd works great

·
Registered
2 Posts
i will put up some pics , my jeep is one of a kind not pretty but i have run 3 motors thru this heavily modded chopped caged and plated frame jeep even used to pull tandem axle trailer while doing tree service . jeeps are one of the most versatile and rebuildable vehicles ever

21 - 28 of 28 Posts