Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time XJ owner. Swamping over from a TJ. Buddy's had this XJ for over 10 years sitting under his car port. He started the 8.25 rear with 4.56 gears and installed SYE. He finally gave in and sold it to me. Replaced all the coolant system last weekend. Radiator, water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, hoses, fan clutch. Coil pack, spark plugs, transmission flush and oil change up next. Current Wildcat A/T2 31"x10.50"R15" with rims up for sale. Overall XJ is in pretty good shape inside and out. Lift and tires next on the list.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Wow thats clean. But I guess you'll have that when its been sitting under a carport that whole time.
Welcome to the forum from Iowa. Where are you located?
What plans do you have for it? Trail rig, weekend warrior, daily driver? new 31s or 35s?
You only mentioned the rear, what state is the front axle in?

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Yep what 👆he said. How many miles? Don't flush the tranny.
Hello from Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PNW, Puyallup WA. area. Weekend warrior get out of town forest backroads light trail rig. 33"X12.50"s on 15"s. 4.5" inch lift cut the fenders throw in some 4.56 gears up front on the Dana 30. Front end will need some beefing up if I go 33x12.50.Needs all new exhaust as well. Still debating on lift brands. Not looking to go with a long arm. But a nice on and off road ride. Getting lots of good ideas from the CT forum. Side note I'm a CNC machinist with weekend access to Haas CNC machines. If any members have any ideas on manufactured custom Cherokee part send me a post. Just finished up a project for the PNW Tundra group. XJ battery hold down bracket looks a whole lot different I see.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Very cool. Most parts I want for the XJ are waterjet or plasma cut parts, not so much machined. Steering box spacers would be pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Yes. Some of us here agree that flushing is just asking for more problems. Its arguable about replacing the filter even since that means pulling the pan when you otherwise don't need to. I did mine at 145,000 if memory serves.

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Check out my build. I'm sitting on 4.5" lift 35/12.5/15's cut fenders napier precision flares. C8.25/dana 30 on 4.56 gears and spartan lockers front and rear. Hack n tap SYE. I just finished control arm drop brackets but haven't been wheeling since long before COVID-19 shut everything down. I've done a gazillion things to mine.
I dig machinist and the magic they can do. I watch titans of CNC and ave on youtube. Respect Bro!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts