Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I own a 1998 Cherokee Sport. Bottom line is the thing gets nasty fuel economy about 380km to a 75 litre tank, or about 174 miles to about a 20 gallon tank. I've been reading the posts here and haven't found alot of information on saving gas. One point I did read was changing the stock 3.55 gears to 4.56 gears. Was wondering if this would improve mileage on city/highway driving...and would it be noticeable at all.

Comments are appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I wouldnt worry about gearing unless you are running larger tires, if you are then yes that would be the way to go. I would first make sure all scheduled maintenance is up to date along with making sure you have the correct amount of PSI in your tires.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hi everyone, I own a 1998 Cherokee Sport. Bottom line is the thing gets nasty fuel economy about 380km to a 75 litre tank, or about 174 miles to about a 20 gallon tank. I've been reading the posts here and haven't found alot of information on saving gas. One point I did read was changing the stock 3.55 gears to 4.56 gears. Was wondering if this would improve mileage on city/highway driving...and would it be noticeable at all.

Comments are appreciated thanks.
That's really bad gas mileage. Can you give some specs on your rig?

For example with my set up, see signature below. The worst gas mileage I have recorded was about 10.5 miles to the gallon. So that would be about 180 to 190 miles to a 20 gallon tank. Keep in mind that a 20 gallon tank doesn't hold 20 gallons. The most I have ever got in my 20 gallon tank was 18.6 gallons, and that was when it was running out of gas!!!

I'll wait to see what your specs are before I continue.

Gears will help, but only for city driving not highway.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
change your 02 sensors and a real good tune but other than that your mileage aint going to get much better.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Air filter, plugs, wires, rotor and cap then O2 sensors.

Throttle body may need to be cleaned.

Record your gas mileage each time you fill up and track it.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You can definately improve your gas mileage, I used to get between 17-22 MPG religiously in my XJ (20-22 when 95% of driving was done on the highway, but even in city I managed to average 16-17 MPG).

Do you have a cracked exhaust manifold, because that will definately hurt your gas mileage. In addition, folllow everything Mudd said about what to replace. Also, check silly stuff like your tire pressure, what additional weight you carry, is your maintenance all up to snuff, etc. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to creep back up to about 15 MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

Air filter replacement, part of that maintenance thing already mentioned.

At about 100k miles I needed to replace my wheel bearing assembly's. I doubt this would cause bad gas mileage but it certainly could.

I replaced my with Timken brand, as several people swear by them.

Your exhaust system might be worth having a look at. If you had a restriction problem with the catalytic converter this could cause gas mileage issues.

I'm assuming no "CHECK ENGINE" light. If there is you need to get the codes as this will help guide you to a more specific solution.

If you haven't done a tune up I would say 95k miles it is time, and it is relatively cheap and easy to do.

Oh and be sure to post up what the eventual solution was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its been awhile, and I've cleaned out the air filter and put the proper amount of air pressure in my tires...33 psi and my last tank was 453.8 km's and I was pretty much dead empty. Put 72 Litres in. I suppose it beats the 380 kms I was getting before. Another question though, would the octane level of the fuel effect the mileage because I had 90 in it for that 453, and 87 in it this time and I seem to be doing poorer then before. Some places sell higher octane for cheaper in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The owner's manual recommends 87, I think. It says something like higher grades can actually hurt performance and/or economy, not sure of how true that is, though. I use 87. Right now I have 144 miles, and my gas gauge indicates that I have a little over half a tank left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts