Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.
First: I just purchased a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (V6 4.0L) a couple of weeks ago. When I first tried it out, it had a problem starting. The owner said he had the Jeep for ten years and it's always been hard to start, and that it never starts on the first try. I have to hold the key over about three times before it starts. But, I didn't think that was a big deal.

Next: I took the Jeep an hour and a half away to college. On my trip, when I hit a bump, the Jeep freaked out and began the "Death Wobble." Happened about four times. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know!

Last: (this is my biggest concern) - About six days ago, I put it in drive and pressed the gas after idling in park for a while at a stop light... the Jeep immediately died and was very hard to get back started. A couple of days later while idling in park at a gas station, I put the Jeep in drive and pressed the gas to pull out... died again. It took about 20 mins to get the Jeep started. The last time it died, I was just sitting in park with the engine running. Didn't press the gas or anything. I also now hear a faint "gargling" noise coming from the vehicle now. It's not died since the last time, and I even drove it home last night to hopefully get it looked at. When I stop at lights and stuff, I knock it to neutral and hold down the gas so it doesn't have an opportunity to die. Works pretty well. I hope someone may know what's wrong. I sold my 96 Mustang GT Conv. to get something more "reliable" for college, and I got absolutely nowhere.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
death wobble can be from tires worn bushing, alinement, worn steering parts id start by checking steering parts and alinement. lol spelling sucks

oh and change that V6 to I6 no V ok

·
Registered
914 Posts
gargling noise could be as simple as an exhaust leak. regarding starting maybe you just have a crappy starter. check the connections to your battery too, if they are knocking off or just in bad shape they might not be giving you the power you need to get it going.

and of course welcome to CT from NJ:hi:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I have a new starter.

Should I be more worried about the engine dying or the death wobble?
I can only get one of the two fixed this weekend.
What would you recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a death wobble absolutely terrible? As long as I take it easy on the vehicle... what's the worst it could do? =/

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Is a death wobble absolutely terrible? As long as I take it easy on the vehicle... what's the worst it could do? =/
As long as you take it easy you can worry about the dw till a later time, it is hard on your steering components tho. As far as the rough starting and taking off, start with the basics (air, fuel, spark) inspect your air filter n see if its clogged, check fuel pressure to ensure your getting proper fuel, n check all spark plugs n wires and also check to see if your getting good spark. Hope that helps solve or eliminate your problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Deathwobble

Your death wobble is probably caused by your Sway bar. We had to replace ours last week because every time we would hit a bump or a pot hole no matter the speed we were travelling the Jeep would death wobble.

We looked under the two front wheels and the stud holding the two bars together was rusted out. I would defiantly look into this as it may be causing your issue.

Here's the part we got to replace it. Ours is a 1990 Cherokee Laredo.

Duralast/Sway Bar Repair Kit (SL247) | 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4WD 6 Cylinders L 4.0L FI | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey.
First: I just purchased a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (V6 4.0L) a couple of weeks ago. When I first tried it out, it had a problem starting. The owner said he had the Jeep for ten years and it's always been hard to start, and that it never starts on the first try. I have to hold the key over about three times before it starts. But, I didn't think that was a big deal.

Next: I took the Jeep an hour and a half away to college. On my trip, when I hit a bump, the Jeep freaked out and began the "Death Wobble." Happened about four times. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know!

Last: (this is my biggest concern) - About six days ago, I put it in drive and pressed the gas after idling in park for a while at a stop light... the Jeep immediately died and was very hard to get back started. A couple of days later while idling in park at a gas station, I put the Jeep in drive and pressed the gas to pull out... died again. It took about 20 mins to get the Jeep started. The last time it died, I was just sitting in park with the engine running. Didn't press the gas or anything. I also now hear a faint "gargling" noise coming from the vehicle now. It's not died since the last time, and I even drove it home last night to hopefully get it looked at. When I stop at lights and stuff, I knock it to neutral and hold down the gas so it doesn't have an opportunity to die. Works pretty well. I hope someone may know what's wrong. I sold my 96 Mustang GT Conv. to get something more "reliable" for college, and I got absolutely nowhere.
I have a 92 Jeep Laredo. 2 months ago I was idling around farm and engine died. I got lucky and it started right up. I was a bit concerned but forgot about it.
A month after that it was getting hard to start. I don't drive much so...it concerned me alot.
I went to a friend's and it wouldn't start. Husband checked it out and changed the rotor. Still would not start. He is a long haul trucker and had to leave so we called our mechanic.
Mechanic went through system and decided it was the computer. I haven't had a problem since.
He did say that you just can't go online and buy a computer, find a reputable dealer..maybe ask around. He said.
Good Luck, if you haven't already fixed it.
BTW..computer for a '92 Jeep was only around 200$.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wondering if one of his issues is fuel-related. Like, he needs to change the fuel filter, or maybe some kind of vacuum leak. Shifting into Drive and having it stall is a little strange.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I mean....this thread dates back to 2011. A solution has most certainly been obtained in the last 10 years. Thanks for the input though. Yes ECMs, like CPSs and wheelspacers, should all be acquired through reputable dealers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts