Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Nice looking '98 Sporty. I have the same thing in black with a 3" lift and some 31's. I wish I could have gotten mine for a grand! :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the sort of rig I was thinking of, how much was it? Was it a lot of work?

This is my first Jeep, im still learning all the details.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thats the sort of rig I was thinking of, how much was it? Was it a lot of work?

This is my first Jeep, im still learning all the details.
That was my first Jeep too. I picked my way thru it, piece by piece...
I got the lift kit off of ebay for like $200
The shocks were from Summit for $150
the rims from Summit for like $200
and the tires from ebay for $200
I need a new leaf pack though cuz mine are sagging something fierce...

Don't be afraid to buy stuff and stockpile it until you get everything you need for a certain job (i.e.: my lift kit I had for a year before I got the shocks; my tires arrived 3 days before my rims, but I bought them 2 weeks earlier). Just lay out a plan on what you want to do, then assemble the parts necessary, then get down to it. A lot of the stuff you can to to the XJ you can complete in a weekend. It's not a difficult thing to work on at all...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the info man, I'll post my pics here if I ever get the chance to upgrade.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In fact.... here's the '98:
(I don't have the lift on it at the moment, it in my living room while I wait on some new stuff)
11-13-08_1033.jpg
and my bone stock '92:
11-13-08_1032.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Congrats on finding a GREAT deal!

Like said above, working on these is not hard, but it can be sometimes. Invest in PB Blaster and Anti-Seize. Use the PB before removing bolts, and use the AS when reinstalling them - you'll be thankful later. Get a nice breaker bar, and a nice set of rachets, sockets, and wrenches. Pick up a Haynes manual and get familiar with it. Lurk the forums for the "common" issues people run into when doing a lift and such.

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Congrats on finding a GREAT deal!

Like said above, working on these is not hard, but it can be sometimes. Invest in PB Blaster and Anti-Seize. Use the PB before removing bolts, and use the AS when reinstalling them - you'll be thankful later. Get a nice breaker bar, and a nice set of rachets, sockets, and wrenches. Pick up a Haynes manual and get familiar with it. Lurk the forums for the "common" issues people run into when doing a lift and such.

Good luck with the build!
Don't forget a propane torch either!(get propane or mapp/map-pro gas) Look at Sears (esp. now with the holidays), Craftsman sets are good quality and are reasonably cheap. Get a basic set, as aell as a combo wrench set (metric and std.) and Deep Well sockets, asst. extensions. etc. I think I have like 4 or 5 of their reg sets just cuz they were on sale.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Don't forget a propane torch either!(get propane or mapp/map-pro gas) Look at Sears (esp. now with the holidays), Craftsman sets are good quality and are reasonably cheap. Get a basic set, as aell as a combo wrench set (metric and std.) and Deep Well sockets, asst. extensions. etc. I think I have like 4 or 5 of their reg sets
just cuz they were on sale.
Think craftsman and you will never go wrong:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
That would be very good to know why and interesting.
Yes. I was going to make some suggestions based on the answer. I know my 98 had cooling system issues, so if the engine was rebuilt because of that, well there could be some hidden issues that may pop up.

Of course it is always possible that the first oil change was at 80k when the engine was rebuilt! :rofl:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Yes. I was going to make some suggestions based on the answer. I know my 98 had cooling system issues, so if the engine was rebuilt because of that, well there could be some hidden issues that may pop up.

Of course it is always possible that the first oil change was at 80k when the engine was rebuilt! :rofl:
Very similar to the maintenance the PO of my Jeep put into it :brickwall:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
There's always going to be a bad egg in the mix of things. When you produce a bajillion XJ's over 20 years (almost), there will be one or two that don't live up to certain expectations.

Still think that the OP will be fine with his current rig, especially if the rebuild went smoothly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts