Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Looking for some insight on the 98 XJ.
Have just engaged 4x4 to test it's all working, it climbs and does it's thing, but after switching back to 2 wheel standard drive, the idling is super rough... almost like it's going to stall. It doesn't stall, but feels like its gasping.
Another related thing I've noticed, accelerating sometimes feels like it's missing the kick, feels the gearbox isn't sure what to do... if I wait and then push the pedal it sorts itself out, fairly consistent though.
Is it a transmission thing? Petrol pump?
Looking forward to some knowledge on this, New to the forum, recently acquired an XJ. Love it, a great rig and learning it's ways.

·
Super Moderator
10,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. and the sickness.
Can you give use some more detail about your XJ? How many miles? Engine, trim package, etc.
You may need to adjust your TV cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forum. and the sickness.
Can you give use some more detail about your XJ? How many miles? Engine, trim package, etc.
You may need to adjust your TV cable.
Thanks! Good to be a part of it
It's sitting around 180k for miles, 4.0L Petrol, Auto trans, XJ sport 🧐

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
So are you in Europe by any chance?

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
ah yes, another place they offered the XJ in diesel

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
One or two questions. How long since you have changed your O2 sensors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One or two questions. How long since you have changed your O2 sensors?
A very good question, having picked it up second hand with little history, safe to say they're overdue.
I disconnected the cable from the O2 attached to the exhaust, so far the symptoms haven't come back. Shifts gears well, no funny business... will leave it a while and see how it runs, but feeling this might be the culprit?

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
Yes, I think it might be. It is always a good place to start and probably the most neglected tune part on a Jeep

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on the idling: since unplugging the o2 on the front end and giving it some days driving, the idle is clean and the gear shifting is stable and consistent! Certainly seems it's the issue 🙏🏽 Thanks for the input all, and hopefully this helps clear up similar things for someone else out there!

·
Super Moderator
10,909 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on the idling: since unplugging the o2 on the front end and giving it some days driving, the idle is clean and the gear shifting is stable and consistent! Certainly seems it's the issue 🙏🏽 Thanks for the input all, and hopefully this helps clear up similar things for someone else out there!
If you have a problem again, And your front axle Locker is vacuum actuated, you should check your vacuum lines that is one of the things that changes were going from four-wheel-drive to 2 Wheel Dr.
Crewchiefruss

1 - 14 of 14 Posts