Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee laredo 6 cyl and from time to time when its driving all the power in the car will go out (i.e. radio, gauges, headlights) and then the engine will eventually stall. My mechanic replaced the alt, battery is less than a year old.

At first I tried wiggling the wires thinking there was a lose connection. The extremely weird part is the only way I can get the power to come back to the car is to move the battery around. And then it will run fine until something causes the battery to move and it will shut off again.

Should I just try and find a bracket/harness to hold the battery in place (stock one wasn't installed when I purchased it used 2 years ago) or is it a deeper problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Welcome to CT!

For safety reasons, your battery should be tied down - so to answer your question, yes, you should get the bracket/harness to hold the battery in place.

I wonder if the battery not being tied down is causing it to shift and cause a short in the system leading to the power loss.

I'm not good with electric stuff, so that's the best I can do unfortunately.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
I think i refered a guy that had a laredo....

kyle and 2000xj are right it defenantly could be the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After tying down the battery, I think that I would also check and clean the throttle body. This can get gummed up and cause a stall. Then if that does not fix, check computer..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could it be

the mercurywitch in the battery holding plate?
In the 2001 WJ there is a mercury switch, that will kill the engine if car is tipped over or if battery comes loose and jumps up and down on the plate.

1. Disconnect your battery
2. Remove battery
3. Losse the baseplate by 2 bolts.
4. Test the switch ( looks like a round plastic plug in the middle of the plate )

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts