Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior lights are shorting out somewhere I think. I have a remote lock and when I unlock the doors the lights come on as usual. When I lock the doors the lights stay on and the horn does not sound anymore like it used to. All the interior dome lights used to flash on and off when I would make a right turn when it was cold and now they are constantly on and only shut off briefly during a left turn. When I bring the steering wheel back to straight the lights come on again. This is not affecting my battery though because after a drive and the jeep is parked the lights shut off after about twenty minutes. And when I use the remote lock the doors lock but no horn. I have checked all the door pins and am wondering if there is something in the back hatch latch or near the steering column that would affect this. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I know this may sound a little sheepish, buit I won't trace a short five miles down the harness and deal with breaking interior panels... Save yourself sometime, energy, and SANITY. Just go get a replacement harness.. preferably from a dealership. It wil eat up Too much of your time and energy. I had a cousin once call it PFM: Pure [email protected]#^%ng Magic... I don't pretend to know much about electrical wiring diagrams and how circuits work, but I DO know that they are a major pain in the [email protected]$. I have a 1998 zj parts catalog I can send you, so you can at least get the parts number before you go and bow down to the parts deparment at your local dealership. May the force be with you...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I know this may sound a little sheepish, buit I won't trace a short five miles down the harness and deal with breaking interior panels... Save yourself sometime, energy, and SANITY. Just go get a replacement harness.. preferably from a dealership. It wil eat up Too much of your time and energy. I had a cousin once call it PFM: Pure [email protected]#^%ng Magic... I don't pretend to know much about electrical wiring diagrams and how circuits work, but I DO know that they are a major pain in the [email protected]$. I have a 1998 zj parts catalog I can send you, so you can at least get the parts number before you go and bow down to the parts deparment at your local dealership. May the forcce be with you...
How do you think you will replace the harness without removing the panels? The new harness will follow the old harness. Replacing a harness is expensive and time consuming. A $3.00 test light, a $10.00 meter and an hour or so is all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
true.. the panels have to come off... I just have had some bad experiences with wiring shorts... sure its cheaper to chase the short and replace or repaire the wire, but these late 90's GC's are NOTORIUS for shotty wiring. At some point you'll have to chase another short, and another, another till you have most of the harness replaced... I personally would rather just replace it once, then have to repair several times... just my opinion...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts