Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning/evening,

I have a1998 4.0L straight 6 from a 1998 jeep Cherokee, I want to know if it would fit in a 1994 jeep cherokee that has the same type of engine? I know this might be a silly question but this is my first attempt at a engine swap.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I think it should go right in, but 96 was a change year, so there may be differences in the rest of the engine parts besides the block and such.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Stupid question, is the tranny still the aw4 in the 98, and does that effect anything. Also, is 98 coil packs, or still distributor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The swap is because the 94 engine has a piston slap. So I want to pull it out and fix it but I need the jeep to go too and from work.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
the main issue is the 94 is OBD I and the 98 is OBDII Meaning the sensors, ECM and wiring are different. I "BELIEVE" 98 is still distributor and 99 was coil packs. In short, yes the engine will fit. Will it work, yes, BUT you will have to strip the 98 down to nothing but the head and block and move everything from the 94 to the the 98. and it's possible the block cast will not have all the same bolt holes the 94 does. they change things from year to year.

And FWIW, who determined the noise is piston slap? Has anything else been investigated for the noise?

·
Registered
155 Posts
[QUOTE="Gluckmysock, post: 1159078, member: 13FWIW, who determined the noise is piston slap? Has anything else been investigated for the noise?

.....yes...just a big yes. These motors are sometimes ticky, knocky, mine has made all kinds of rackets over dumbsh**

1 - 8 of 8 Posts