Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep overheated and shutdown on me due to water pump failure. I assumed cracked head or blown headgasket so I took the head off to check. I wire brushed it and looked closely for cracks but did not see any. I cleaned it up put on a new gasked( the old one did look like it had failed and was allowing blowthrough ( you could see how an area on cylinder 3 was shiny clean from the steam) on startup it ran better but it still had a rough idle. It now codes P0505 and high battery temp ( my battery temp sensor wires were cut and it looks like they've been cut for a long while). I have changed:
Distributor cap
Distributor rotor
Spark plugs
Ignition coil
Map sensor
Idle air intake valve

I also cleaned the throttle body and changed that gasket

I cannot find the issue and I am starting to think that it could possibly be that my head was warped or a microcrack but yesterday the Idle was fixed for one trip to raising canes. It idled smooth but instead of a rough idle it had a delayed return to idle.

I hope you all can help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I did a compression test....
Cylinder 1: 90psi and held it
Cylinder 2: 0-5psi by the time I looked at it. I'm not sure about while it's running.
I put a little bit of oil into the Cylinder to see if maybe it was a ring and still had 0-5 psi
I drove it to get the girls... stopped at O'Reilly to return the compression tester and when I started her back up she ran without any issues at all!!!! Wtf.... this only lasted a few miles and by the time I got home I was missing again. What's going on here.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
i would say a stuck valve caused the low compression. did you check the other cylinders? with an oscilloscope you can check compression electrically it measures the amp draw on the starter as you crank the engine. have you pressure tested the cooling system?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts