Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll try and keep this first one short.lol
Ok will a 98 4.0 distributor swap to a 96 4.0.
Oil sending unit swapable?will the flywheel and flex plate from the 98 work with the 96 C.P.S.
Thanks ,Todd

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
1996 was a transition year in all of the ECU control mechanisms, Transmission control mechanisms and the security sensors. I am not saying that they won't swap over, but I do have some manuals for you to have a look into. If the 96 is a late 95 to early 96: I'd say you'll have issues. If it is a late 96 model, you might get lucky. If you were working with a 97 instead, everything would be plug and play.

If you're swapping a 96 short block into a 98, I think you're gonna have some small solvable problems. If you're trying to use 98 ZJ sensors into a 96 ZJ, you'll likely have more problems than the other way around. IF this is what you're doing, and you're getting the motor cheap: I think you'll get away with swapping the motor over to the 96 electronics.

I'd stick with the 96 flex plate and flywheel, the CKPS was a different design in 96's bellhousing in how it mounted to the housing. I would GUESS that the principles behind how the sensors work, and the wiring are just about the same: just a different plug and design. Now, what those signals would equate to in a 98 ECU vs a 96 ECU is anyone's guess. You may get away with it.

The distributors look to be different. IDK, I DO know that the advancing of the timing in the 98 ZJ was ECU controlled (very poorly I might add!), and it could be that the distributor in the 96 could have been mechanically controlled. I do not know much about the 96 other than it was the straddle year where Jeep changed a lot of how the ECU controlled the engine, transmission, and emissions; as well as On Board Diagnostic (OBD) mechanisms.

Here are the connector pin-outs for the CKPS for both years.

All of the manuals (TJ,XJ,WJ,ZJ, ETC..) I have in my possession, includes 96 and 98 FSM and Parts List Manuals:

ZJ, XJ, TJ, WJ Manuals

I encourage everyone grab a copy while I have them up.

Regardless, good luck and godspeed. Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1996 was a transition year in all of the ECU control mechanisms, Transmission control mechanisms and the security sensors. I am not saying that they won't swap over, but I do have some manuals for you to have a look into. If the 96 is a late 95 to early 96: I'd say you'll have issues. If it is a late 96 model, you might get lucky. If you were working with a 97 instead, everything would be plug and play.

If you're swapping a 96 short block into a 98, I think you're gonna have some small solvable problems. If you're trying to use 98 ZJ sensors into a 96 ZJ, you'll likely have more problems than the other way around. IF this is what you're doing, and you're getting the motor cheap: I think you'll get away with swapping the motor over to the 96 electronics.

I'd stick with the 96 flex plate and flywheel, the CKPS was a different design in 96's bellhousing in how it mounted to the housing. I would GUESS that the principles behind how the sensors work, and the wiring are just about the same: just a different plug and design. Now, what those signals would equate to in a 98 ECU vs a 96 ECU is anyone's guess. You may get away with it.

The distributors look to be different. IDK, I DO know that the advancing of the timing in the 98 ZJ was ECU controlled (very poorly I might add!), and it could be that the distributor in the 96 could have been mechanically controlled. I do not know much about the 96 other than it was the straddle year where Jeep changed a lot of how the ECU controlled the engine, transmission, and emissions; as well as On Board Diagnostic (OBD) mechanisms.

Here are the connector pin-outs for the CKPS for both years.
View attachment 228339

All of the manuals (TJ,XJ,WJ,ZJ, ETC..) I have in my possession, includes 96 and 98 FSM and Parts List Manuals:

ZJ, XJ, TJ, WJ Manuals

I encourage everyone grab a copy while I have them up.

Regardless, good luck and godspeed. Let us know how you made out.
Wow thanks .I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts