Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 99 alternator, is the voltage regulator in the alternator on the computer? if it is in the computer, how do i repair this?
when i drive my jeep it will work normal for a couple of days, then the check engine light will come on and my volt meter will bottom out.
i took the alternator out and had it tested at two different places and it checked out fine.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
It is in the computer

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch. Is there a way to a way to repair this without having to buy a computer

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
After all the fun you've had pulling the alternator, i hate to say it but try tightening the belt.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wait a minute

So what is the code when the check engine light comes on?
First have to sort that out.
i am trying to remember from 10 years ago, isnt there a way to check the code by turning off and on the key? i have done this before but it had been years ago

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well that did not work. the check engine will not stay on. when i start the jeep, the gauge will show almost normal the drop to 9 and the check engine will come on. so i waited for it to do this and them tried to pull a code and still nothing.

problem is, it will not come on all the time. i drive it all week then it came on last night. drove it for an hour today and it came on close to home

·
Super Moderator
9,815 Posts
you can pick up an ECM from a junk yard for around 40 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
That is what I would do

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. The pull a parts in my area are dry. The xj is getting hard to find.
I drove it an hour today with no problems.
Last week it was fine till Sunday.

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P0320. Sorry about that. The guy who pulled the code mentioned something about camshaft sensor. I guess

·
Registered
785 Posts
P0320. Sorry about that. The guy who pulled the code mentioned something about camshaft sensor. I guess
I could be totally wrong about this but not seeing how either one of those codes could be affecting the alternator.

Unless maybe it is some low voltage thing?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always try to follow up. Hopefully I can help someone else.
I swapped in a new alternator.
So far all is good on the gauges.

Now my ac blower motor will rev up when I press the throttle. Sometimes it will keep running after i shut the motor off and remove the key

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well so far all is good. allot of miles and the alternator seems to have the jeep running without issues

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
been driving my 99 every day. i use it allot while working in a rail yard. 4 wd is nice especially when you feel the jeep start to sit down.

funny how the issues with the alternator went away with a new one. had the thing tested several times and it always passed

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I went through the same thing with my ZJ. Every place in town said it was good... but it wasn't!!
Finally just bought the new one and BAM, fixed!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i agree with you

I went through the same thing with my ZJ. Every place in town said it was good... but it wasn't!!
Finally just bought the new one and BAM, fixed!!
one thing i look at is how old it is. if i have replaced it myself a year or so then i will look at other things. if it is a jeep that i just picked up and it looks like it is 100 years ago, then i will replace it even if the parts place says it is good.

i figure that since it is already off and it is really a pain to pull it, i will go back with a new one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts