Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only upon deceleration. Bought it today...apparently rend end leaking some diff. fluid....but an enitre thing of fluid placed into it this morning. Accelerates great....no noise....Ive been reading maybe its pinion seal or carrier bearings? any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My gears whine since I went to 4:56 gears. I hear them at very low speed.

Give us more information about the rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99 cherokee deceleration whining

Well...What else would you need to know? I just purchased it yesterday. It has 145k miles. Stock-no mods. Engine runs awesome, trans shifts with no problems whatsoever. Acceleration has no problems. It just when you let your foot off the gas....you hear a whining from the rearend. The faster you are going before you let off the gas...the louder the whining is. As the Jeep slows, the whining volume lowers untill you hit about 10 mph or so and then it goes away. I got a great deal on it...I paid $1700!! The guy I bought it from had said that the diff. cap "came off" that morning and fluid leaked out. He said that he had put a "whole thing" of fluid in it after that happened. The "pumpkin" looks a litte wet like it is leaking a little, but I dont see any drips in the snow at all. It also has a funky (not overbearing) smell like diff. oil is being heated and burned. It is the same smell my Grand made when it was leaking diff. fluid. Please let me know if you need more info. And if it is the bearings does anyone know how much that may cost to fix? Thanks~~~ Jessica

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Is it safe to assume that you bought a two wheel drive XJ?

What make and model diff is it Dana 35, Chrysler 8.25, or other?

How loud is the whine. It is something you can hear with the windows down, or is it so light that you can only hear it with the windows up, and radio off?

I'll mention this, I think it is very fishy that the diff cap came off. I'm sure he must have been talking about the rubber plug in the C8.25, but how that can just "come off" is beyond me.

I wonder what he put in there. I wonder if he put the "right" stuff in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No no..It is a 4 wheel drive. The whine is pretty loud. You can hear it with the windows both up and down for sure. It dosent "scare" me as in "holy crap I need to pull over" but I am concerned. Im getting it into a shop as soon as I can, and I dont plan to drive it untill then. I think Im gonna have my dad drain the oil and maybe he can see whats up. I figured I would see what others have to say on here in the meantime.

What kind of diff oil would you reccommend??

Also- Tell me what you think about this because I really dont know much about it....the guy I bought it from also said something about how he put an extender something-or-other on it so it "dosent happen again." :dunno: I dont know... The whole deal was shady (he appeard to be high on something, 0 degrees out and the guy was sweating bullets)... But, I still think I got a really good deal out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
No no..It is a 4 wheel drive. The whine is pretty loud. You can hear it with the windows both up and down for sure. It dosent "scare" me as in "holy crap I need to pull over" but I am concerned. Im getting it into a shop as soon as I can, and I dont plan to drive it untill then. I think Im gonna have my dad drain the oil and maybe he can see whats up. I figured I would see what others have to say on here in the meantime.

What kind of diff oil would you reccommend??

Also- Tell me what you think about this because I really dont know much about it....the guy I bought it from also said something about how he put an extender something-or-other on it so it "dosent happen again." :dunno: I dont know... The whole deal was shady (he appeard to be high on something, 0 degrees out and the guy was sweating bullets)... But, I still think I got a really good deal out of it.
I use the Royal Purple ahhh 70w-140w in the rear and the 70w-90w in the front diff.

You should be able to get a Chrysler 8.25 rear end from a junk yard for $100, certainly less than $200, so worse case is you have to spend another $500 to get the rear end replaced. Unless you do it yourself.

Sweating bullets huh? I hope everything it right with the title.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I talked to a jeep mechanic about it and he told me that it was a worn down bearing. I wasn't worried too bad about it and decided to drive it until it blows up. 3 years later, it is still working fine :p

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
it is hard to tell a person over the internet what could be wrong with something.
when it comes to a problem like this take it and get it looked at.
a diffcover can not just come off. he has blown the rearend all of it or different parts in it and that is why he sold it.
did he write on the recipt where is as is? not that it should matter but get it looked at a price to fix it as soon as you can. than take that info back to the guy and see if he would come good for the money you will have to pay out to fix it.
or even half.
it could be something small to fix or it could be something that will run you into hundreds of dollars.
good luck.. let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Title seems ok. There was a Lein on the title. Included with the title is a record of lein release from the loan company. Everything looks pretty straight forward and legit. Was sold from original owner to a car dealership(trade in perhaps?) The guy I bought it from I guess bought it from them (auction?) and now I have it. All of these events happened after January 5th 2009. I dont think he was sweating because of nervousness, I think he was a coke head or something. He was very...full of energy lol.

So is that funky smell that I smell possibly leaking diff. fluid?

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Definitely could be. Gear oil has a fairly nasty odor.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Title seems ok. There was a Lein on the title. Included with the title is a record of lein release from the loan company. Everything looks pretty straight forward and legit. Was sold from original owner to a car dealership(trade in perhaps?) The guy I bought it from I guess bought it from them (auction?) and now I have it. All of these events happened after January 5th 2009. I dont think he was sweating because of nervousness, I think he was a coke head or something. He was very...full of energy lol.

So is that funky smell that I smell possibly leaking diff. fluid?
Could be just some that is on the outsife of the diff.
could be it burning up on the inside of the diff.
oh one other thing.. start up the engine and check your tany fluid.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're smelling burnt 80-90,it is probably axle seals leaking behind the drums.Between the pinion and axle seals,that is why the bearings are shot.Start looking REAL close.I'm sure there are other things that weren't maintained properly.Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only vehicle I ever had that had those symptoms (Loud whine on deceleration) it was rear axle bearings. Need to check it out because worst case scenario you lose a wheel going down the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts