Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some may call me crazy, and some may be right...but after burning up alternators and mechanical fan clutches I decided to try and solve the problem once and for all. Eliminating the dead A/C compressor and its mounting bracket with fan clutch, and the factory xj alternator and it's mounting bracket, and the mechanical fan...I utilized a '99 Grand Cherokee alternator and mounting bracket to move the alternator to the top, and gaining about 20 amps in the process. Being both of the '99 years, the alternator was plug and play. The mechanical fan and factory electrical fan were swapped out for a ford 3.8 liter two speed electrical fan. Don't get me wrong, some modification to the fan shroud was required to fit this monster, but it sits tight up against the radiator. Low speed turns on when the coolant temperature sensor tells it to, and I ran a switch inside to turn on high speed when required. To power the fan, I took advantage of Ford's constant control relay module, which handles the fan's amperage, plus gives me two auxillary relay's to play with...

So far no overheating issues...

·
Registered
135 Posts
That looks very ingenious but my ac still works and I would like to install a higher output alt. to power all my lights and other accessories. Does anyone know of an alt. that will bolt up in the stock location with minimal wireing mods?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use a '98 Grand cherokee alternator. You will have to grind the mounting bracket a little bit to get it to fit, but it's a plug and play affair.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
That looks very ingenious but my ac still works and I would like to install a higher output alt. to power all my lights and other accessories. Does anyone know of an alt. that will bolt up in the stock location with minimal wireing mods?
You can use ZJ alternators from V8 models, as I think they were rated at 136 amps (modification would have to be made as someone already mentioned). From the factory, XJ Limiteds from '97+ model years came with a 136 amp alternator - which would be a direct bolt on (I'm pretty sure). I also believe that XJ's with the Police Package had the 136 amp alternators to run the accessories as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I might have missed it... but what fan are you using?? **is it aftermarket, or a junkyard find** and how noisey is it?? i have my aux. fan hooked to a toggle switch and when i have it on people ask me if my jeep's ok lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts