Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Okay, so here is what is going on with my Jeep (4.0L I6 5spd Cherokee Sport 2wd 4D). I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to cars in general so I have very limited knowledge in what could be causing certain things to happen. I'll just go ahead and list some things that have been bugging me or what I think is wrong.

Note: Some of these things are probably minor and some maybe not so much

(1) When I put the key in the ignition and turn the key to crank up my Jeep it struggles to turn over but eventually does after a few seconds (sometimes up to around 5-8secs). What I have noticed though is that If I turn the key over just enough to turn on the battery, like powering the cd player and guages and all that stuff, I notice that the battery guage needle will slowly start to rise. If I wait until it stops (around 14 I think?) then turn the key all the way, it will start quickly pretty much every time. What could be causing this? Battery terminals in need of cleaning maybe?

(2) This hasn't happened in a long time but when it used to rain, my passenger side floorboard would sometimes have a puddle in it. It sucks when you're late for class and you hop in your Jeep and it smells like ***. I was never able to figure out where it was coming from. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with that.

(3) Okay, this one is annoying now. I recently got a new clutch kit installed after my pressure plate collapsed awhile back. Ever since then it was somewhat harder to shift into first and second gears unless I was at a standstill. It's been a couple of months now and it has gotten worse. It sometimes feels like you have to push through a wall to get into gear and it seems to want to pop it back out of gear sometimes. It makes it easier to put into gear when I give it some gas to match rpm levels (if thats how you say it, kind of like heel-toe downshifting). Is this an easy fix or maybe something to do with the transmission?

(4) This one is ugly. It sounds like there is a monster living underneath my jeep when I start it up or turn off the engine. Sometimes you can hear it in gear too. It sounds like the whole exhaust is rattling underneath the Jeep when this happens. No clue as to what this is.

(5) Squeaky brakes! I got all new rotors and pads, the whole works and they still squeak. The mechanic told me it's just brake dust, which sounds about right because they don't squeak anymore when I've been driving around for a bit. But man, it's embarassing pulling through a parking lot sounding like a screaming banshee. Any helpful little tips to minimize or get rid of the squeak?

There are some other little things that I am wanting to fix but I'll save those for a later time because they're minor.

Thank you so much for reading this! :bow::bow::bow:
I'll leave it at that for my second post on here haha ;)

cmac

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
1. Try turning the key in the on position for about 10 seconds before actually cranking the engine over. This will give the fuel pump time to prime.

2. Its a common problem, I havent yet found the solution.

3. Dont know

4. It could be that your exhaust hangers are loose.

5. I dont know what to do about the break problem either.

·
Registered
342 Posts
5. Are the pas Semi-Metallic or Ceramic? Did they put the anti-squeal crap on the back of the break pad? Did they replace all the mounting hardware for the breaks?

Brakes if you use quality pads and turn the rotors and replace the hardware and put the anti-squeal stuff on the back of the pads should not squeal at all. It's all about doing it right and sadly most mechanics anymore don't and just do it the cheap, quick and easy way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(okcjeeper) Yeah I have no idea about any of the brake stuff as of right now. I'll check in the morning to see what all was done exactly. Thanks a lot.
(Kyle) I'll check that out, where are they located? I got up underneath a couple of days ago and tryed to shake the exhaust to see if it was loose anywhere but it didn't budge so:dunno:. Thanks for the additional info as well!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
(1) When I put the key in the ignition and turn the key to crank up my Jeep it struggles to turn over but eventually does after a few seconds (sometimes up to around 5-8secs). What I have noticed though is that If I turn the key over just enough to turn on the battery, like powering the cd player and guages and all that stuff, I notice that the battery guage needle will slowly start to rise. If I wait until it stops (around 14 I think?) then turn the key all the way, it will start quickly pretty much every time. What could be causing this? Battery terminals in need of cleaning maybe?

I'd definately try what Kyle mentioned to do. I would also just give your battery terminals a once over. If they're very corroded clean them off and reconnect your cables. Inspect your cables for any damage and/or loose connections as well.

(2) This hasn't happened in a long time but when it used to rain, my passenger side floorboard would sometimes have a puddle in it. It sucks when you're late for class and you hop in your Jeep and it smells like ***. I was never able to figure out where it was coming from. I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with that.

Yet another famous XJ problem. I have read that it can be that your drains near the front doors/cowl are clogged with junk (leaves, etc.) which causes them to back-up and drain into your rig. I want to believe that it's something like this because mine didn't start to do it until it had about 60,000 miles on it. Your floorpans could also be rusted out, so pulling the carpet to look and see what's there may not hurt. Have you checked to see if there are any obvious points of entry for water (holes/cracks/etc)? May also want to check the bottom of your windshield, if the gasket/rubber surrounding it is defective in some way, it could be letting water in.

(3) Okay, this one is annoying now. I recently got a new clutch kit installed after my pressure plate collapsed awhile back. Ever since then it was somewhat harder to shift into first and second gears unless I was at a standstill. It's been a couple of months now and it has gotten worse. It sometimes feels like you have to push through a wall to get into gear and it seems to want to pop it back out of gear sometimes. It makes it easier to put into gear when I give it some gas to match rpm levels (if thats how you say it, kind of like heel-toe downshifting). Is this an easy fix or maybe something to do with the transmission?

It sounds like the syncros aren't doing their job all that well. I'm not well-versed in transmissions, but that would be my guess.

(4) This one is ugly. It sounds like there is a monster living underneath my jeep when I start it up or turn off the engine. Sometimes you can hear it in gear too. It sounds like the whole exhaust is rattling underneath the Jeep when this happens. No clue as to what this is.

Like Kyle said, check your hangers. Look to see if any of them are broken or damaged. Check to see if your exhaust is bent anywhere and making contact with the body as well.

(5) Squeaky brakes! I got all new rotors and pads, the whole works and they still squeak. The mechanic told me it's just brake dust, which sounds about right because they don't squeak anymore when I've been driving around for a bit. But man, it's embarassing pulling through a parking lot sounding like a screaming banshee. Any helpful little tips to minimize or get rid of the squeak?

What type of brake pads did you use? That right there is your most-likely culprit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(2000XJ)
(1) I'll try what Kyle was saying and take a look next time I get the chance.
(2) Definately not the windshield or floorpans. I took a long look one day to see where it was coming from and I think it was coming from somwhere like under the dash area-ish. I'll check next time it rains, but like I said it hasn't been a problem lately so I'm not sure.
(3) Yeah idk about this one, thanks though for sure.
(4) I'll look tomorrow when I get some time.
(5) I'm pretty sure they are ceramic.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1. Very well known issue. Turn off your radio and turn the key to on.... Hear that hum? Thats your fuel pump pressurizing your fuel system. Nothing you can do, don't be in such a hurry and wait it out.

2. Happens most when you are running your A/C or you defroster, doesn't it??? Check the drain for the A/C condensor.. It will clog and then when the condensor starts dripping water, it fills the small drain tray. The extra water drips out of the heater box and onto your floor.

3. Did they bleed your clutch slave properly??? It sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging.

4. Check the heat shield for the cat. They rust loose from their cheap mount and sound like something is rattling against the bottom of the Jeep.

5. You got lifetime warranty pads didn't you??? They are made out of some hard compounds to get long life span to keep you from bringing them back. So look for a softer pad, or get earplugs....

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

Battery, or related issue. Clean terminals sure, but look at the cables carefully. Have the battery tested (Wal-Mart for example) should be free.

Other than a plain leak from the outside in, Heater core, or clogged A/C drain.

Past standard knowledge NOT on a Jeep; Adjust clutch pedal linkage as it sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. It would get worse over time, because you are wearing down your clutch disk. It could also be bad synchronizers in your transmission but I really doubt it would be more than one (usually 1st) and it would go out right after changing the clutch. You did change clutch disk, pressure plate (or have it turned) and throwout bearing?

My transfer case was hitting on the factory skid, only did it sometimes. Also my exhaust pipe was hitting the crossmember. Exhaust guy noticed it and heated and bent the hanger up higher. You might want to check, or replace your driver's side motor mount. Mine was toast at about 80k miles.

(5) Squeaky brakes! I got all new rotors and pads, the whole works and they still squeak. The mechanic told me it's just brake dust, which sounds about right because they don't squeak anymore when I've been driving around for a bit. But man, it's embarrassing pulling through a parking lot sounding like a screaming banshee. Any helpful little tips to minimize or get rid of the squeak?

Pull the brake pads and put some of that anti-squeak goop they sell for this. It goes on the back of the pads. Replace them and you'll be good until you drive through high water. lol

There are some other little things that I am wanting to fix but I'll save those for a later time because they're minor.

Thank you so much for reading this! :bow::bow::bow:
I'll leave it at that for my second post on here haha ;)

cmac[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, after a fun day of giving my driveway a new rainbow tint to it, I think I may have figured out the exhaust noise and I have some more questions.
I changed my oil/oil filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor today and after everything was put on I went to start her up and then I hear my friend saying "Whoa whoa shut it down!" There was a lake of oil sitting underneath my jeep (about 1-2liters). :brickwall: Something didn't seal right in the oil filter (the ruber gasket strip on it didn't seal or something). Another possibility we thought happend was the rubber piece from the old one might have come off and was still stuck on there and we didn't notice it while putting the new filter on. :brickwall: IDK. Anyways, while taking it off it slipped out of my hands and fell into the tub holding the old oil :brickwall:. So then I went to get another oil filter and a couple more liters or oil and eberything works fine now. I just have a bunch of oil all over my engine now:brickwall:.
Now back to my original questions
(1)It seems to start okay when my voltage gets fully charged so w/e.
(2) Still haven't had time to check
(3)It's actually gotten a little bit better now and shifting smooth into second every now and then.
(4)This is where I'm still stuck at/might have an idea. I think checked all the exhaust hangers and they are fine. The exhaust isn't hitting the body anywhere. But, when I hit the cat with my hand I can hear it rattling. I also asked my friend to get under the car (not literally) when I cranked her up to listen for it and he said he noticed the cat rattling really fast when I started it. Any ideas? He was saying something about a stone that could get knocked loose inside the cat?
(5)Still haven't had time to check either.

Okay New Questions::
-When oil was gushing out of the filter and got everywere, could it damage anything? I don't know much of anything about that kind of stuff.
-(Pics below) I was just looking around while waiting for my oil to drain and I found this dent in my exhaust, that's not normal is it?
-(Pics below) What size/type of bolt is this? I need to replace it I'm assuming.
What wonderful things I find out just by crawling under my jeep and taking a look around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys see that whole where there is a bolt missing? Does anyone know what size bolt I need to replace that?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The dent is from your upper control arm.... Just about every Jeep that ever gets used the correct way gets that....

I believe the bolt is 10mm shoulder bolt...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys. Took the jeep to a shop today. Need new cat : (. Okay updates on my questions.
(1) Pretty much starts fine now. I just have to wait for the voltage to get up after leavin the key in the on position for a few positions or whatever.
(2) How would I go by checking the heater core/ac drain, where are they located?
(3) Mudderoy I think you were right on this one. They told me it would be either the synchronizers going bad or me not putting the clutch all the way in....They actually told me I may not be applying the clutch all the way. I laughed and left. Anyways. Could it possibly be a gear bushing? My dad was saying how his old vw was doing the same thing until he just replaced the gear bushing.
(4) They said the cat was bad and told me it was $220 to fix. I'm thinking of just getting an exhaust system from the downpipe back. Or would you guys recomend just from the catback? Good systems anyone recommend?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like midrange I guess
Not the best but not a piece of crap either. Just a nice sounding, reliable one : )

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Well, if you have to replace the cat, then you can't just do a cat-back system and be done with it because you'll still have the original cat. Do you have to replace the downpipes? If you don't have to, then I'd avoid it - why pay more?

You could probably go to a junkyard and find a cat out of another XJ and put that on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts