Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have an 87 Cherokee. The other night I put in 4wd because it was raining but when I got home it would not disengage. In fact it was stuck in part time 4wd. Now I don;t know much about these 4wd drive systems but I believe I have the Select-Trac system,

My lever has

2WD
Hi-Lock
4WD
N
Lo-Lock

But I can't find the vacuum lines on t he axle disconnect, in fact my front axle has no disconnect. My transfer case has an Electrical connection on the back, what is that for? Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes... you have the select-trac system...

And no... your axle wouldnt have the vaccuum disconnect... The full-time systems don't use it.

The electrical plug is only to operate the dash lights. The transfer case is totally manually shifted.

Try driving backwards a few feet with the transfer case selector in 2wd. That will often get the Select-Trac to unlock.

If the selector handle is stuck, try adjusting the linkage to the T-case. If the 4wd system is not used very often, many times it just needs adjusted and lubricated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried driving back and forth, turning the wheels, and goosing the throttle. But nothing. I wouldn't mind having it stuck in full time 4wd but the thing is that its stuck in the lock position. My shift lever moves freely and I checked the movement under the car. How would i go about chaging the fluid in the transfer case?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hold on, I'm confused. You say that the lever moves freely... as in there is no resistance at all? If there is no resistance then you're linkage may have come disconnected and that is why you can't shift it at all.

The best way to get out of the situation (in my experience) is to shift the tcase back into 4 Full Time if you can. Drive for like .25 mile with it like that and while your going straight, shift into neutal, and then firmly (but NOT forcefully) make a single motion pushing the lever into 2WD. Since I started shifting into 2WD like this I haven't experienced any issues what-so-ever.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I tried driving back and forth, turning the wheels, and goosing the throttle. But nothing. I wouldn't mind having it stuck in full time 4wd but the thing is that its stuck in the lock position. My shift lever moves freely and I checked the movement under the car. How would i go about chaging the fluid in the transfer case?
Changing the fluid in the TCase is easy, open up the drain hole (bottom) let it drain then plug it and fill through the top hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry to have caused some confusion. By saying the lever moves freely I meant that it moves the way it is supposed to. There is no obvious binding or grinding. There is resistance from each position. I am going to try to do the shift while rolling trick again tomorrow morning. I will probably just replace the fluid also. Do these transfer cases use ATF?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes... it uses ATF... always loosen the fill plug before removing the drain plug.

3 pints of fluid.. or a quart and a half.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Okay so I have an 87 Cherokee. The other night I put in 4wd because it was raining but when I got home it would not disengage. In fact it was stuck in part time 4wd. Now I don;t know much about these 4wd drive systems but I believe I have the Select-Trac system,

My lever has

2WD
Hi-Lock
4WD
N
Lo-Lock

But I can't find the vacuum lines on t he axle disconnect, in fact my front axle has no disconnect. My transfer case has an Electrical connection on the back, what is that for? Can anyone help me?
May i ask why you needed 4wd in the rain?

·
Registered
608 Posts
My 242 is what you could call "temperamental" going in and out of 2 & 4, On mine I found that if I'm in 4F/T, I let off the gas, shift into 4P/T, tap the gas, let it coast then it will shift. The same from 4P/T to 2... But as I have been using it way more than the PO, it's starting to do it on my own without coaxing, so now it just kinda slides into range while I'm coasting, but when it's ready to...

·
Registered
127 Posts
4wd in the rain??? what

If you had it in the LOCK position you probably have it bound up. Jack the frotn end up so that the tires are off of the ground, and spin them by hand to see if it releases. If not shift back to 4lock and then back to 2wd.

It should NEVER be put in LOCK unless in on slippery surfaces. RAIN is not a slippery surface.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not put it in "Hi-Lock", I put it in 4WD which is full time 4wd. Is their something wrong with using full time 4wd in the rain? I don't think so. Anyways, the problem is that I did not want to lock the differentials but it did anyway. And no matter what position I put it in, it is locked. 2WD, Hi-Lock, and 4WD all give me the same results. Last time the 4wd system was working fine was in the summer. Would temperature have that much of an effect on it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did not put it in "Hi-Lock", I put it in 4WD which is full time 4wd. Is their something wrong with using full time 4wd in the rain? I don't think so. Anyways, the problem is that I did not want to lock the differentials but it did anyway. And no matter what position I put it in, it is locked. 2WD, Hi-Lock, and 4WD all give me the same results. Last time the 4wd system was working fine was in the summer. Would temperature have that much of an effect on it?
4wd is the correct setting for what you are wanting to do.

Hi-lock(or 4wd part time for newer T-cases) is not for use on dry pavement.

But all three 4wd settings... Hi-lock(or 4wd Hi part time), 4wd(or 4wd full time) and Lo-lock(4wd Low) do not 'lock' the differentials. When you shift the selector on the full-time cases, it either activates the normal 4wd operation or the full-time unit. But if you could watch under the Jeep. As you go down the road in 2wd both drive shafts turn.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The 242 gets little grooves worn into the mechanisim. I had mine act up on me the other day. I used to be able to tell when there was a little bit of a "mush" on the lever. When I heard the tires chirping I new that it wasn't disengaged.

Put it back in full time 4x4 at the very least.

You'll need to be somewhere where you can drive straight for a long distance.

I finally got mine out of part time, but I wasn't sure until I turned the wheels.

I'll probably rebuild it when I do the SYE, and I'll get rid of those grooves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for so many questions but now I'm a little more confused. If the front driveshaft spins even in 2WD mode, what keeps the wheels from turning? I was told the Select-Trac does not have an axle disconnect.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Sorry for so many questions but now I'm a little more confused. If the front driveshaft spins even in 2WD mode, what keeps the wheels from turning? I was told the Select-Trac does not have an axle disconnect.
There is no power sent to the front wheels so there wont be any turning of the wheels. But it does end up spinning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He hit the nail on the head, failure is common with these TCases. For most the answer is driving back a few feet in 2wd.
:eek: X2, I have to back up in part time even when I am on dirt in order to put it into 2WD. The axles tend to bind up. Kinda normal. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts