Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 XJ I recently had an accident and the driver side frame right in front of the control arm bracket bent bent I just put a 4 and 1/2-in lift on it and if I were to get the control arms for a 6-in lift and reweld the brackets back would that correct the problem

·
Super Moderator
10,620 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It looks like a considerable amount of damage. No I don't recommend a 6.5" lift and a repaired control arm bracket. I would recommend a long arm kit and 6.5" lift since it requires you to cut that bracket off anyhow.
Or a quality frame shop can repair the damage and put the bracket back where it belongs.
From your pictures, that does not look like the axle from an 87 cherokee. It also looks like some welding has been done to the passenger side axle bracket. Can we get some pics of the front and sides from about 6' away? And a little more details about how the damage happened? Did you get hit on the drivers side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes someone pulled out in front of me and slammed brakes the welding is because I changed out control arm brackets I'll put better pics when sun comes up in a few hours

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I literally just got a 4.5 lift through rough country and I don't ave the money to get the 6 inch long arm at this point

·
Super Moderator
10,620 Posts
Ok. Going to a 6" lift on short control arms is highly discouraged. It makes for a very harsh ride to say the least. We will wait for some pics

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I meant keeping the lift but putting. A longer control arm to get past where frae buckled in front of lower rear control arm bracket

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Gluck has it right. Either have the damage repaired by professionals in a frame shop/collision shop, or cut off the brackets and go to a long arm lift. If I remember correctly, long arms on a 4" lift doesn't work out all that well, but 6" does. You'd need to either buy spacers or get new coils, probably shocks, readjust the trackbar, and realign it (which needs done anyway since you were in a serious accident where the frame buckled). In the rear you'll need leaves or shackles, or an aal (not often recommended).

You were in an accident you claim was caused by someone other than yourself, did you get their insurance info? This shouldn't be an out of pocket expense to get the frame fixed IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts