Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
2001 Cheep Jerokee XJ 2WD Automatic 4-Door
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are plenty of threads around here dedicated to installing fog lights on your 97-01 XJ that involve running new aftermarket wires, switches, relays and fog lights, but this thread is not about all that... I wanted to create this thread to address the lack of information on swapping the OEM fog lights, OEM harness, OEM relays and OEM switch into a Non-Fog light equipped Jeep. So, if you have any information on the subject, please do share!
Some of you may think it’s crazy to try to run OEM fog light equipment instead of new custom equipment, but I wanted to set out to tackle a project that might just be rarely attempted and stay true to the OEM wiring.
So recently I decided I wanted to attach a set of OEM fog lights to my XJ that came from the factory without Fog lights. I want to do it “by the book” but I have ran into a problem; I can not find “the book.” So, in the mean time, I have started gathering all of the OEM fog light equipment and am doing the best I can to find as much information I can with the internet that is afforded to us regular folks who do not have access to all of the data bases a mechanic, a dealership or a parts dealer may have. So far I have gathered an original set of fogs, the headlight harness with the fog light wires and the dash panel that includes the cigarette lighter with the fog light switch.
From the best my research indicates, there should be a plug in my non-fog light equipped Jeep that will plug into the fog light switch in the panel I plan to install. Apparently this plug carries power to illuminate the switch and has the wires necessary for the switch to direct current to the future fog lights. So yeah, all well and good and as expected there. The issue I am running into is the relay situation.... from the best I can tell, there are two fog light relays that should plug into the under hood fuse box in order for the fog lights to work properly.
Herein lies the dilemma and the questions I need an answer for. Does a Cherokee that comes from the factory without fog lights still have the correct wires running to the fuse box for the fog light relays? Will I have to run those wires or find a harness with those wires? Will I need to replace the entire fuse box or can I just add the relays?
I know for sure, as far as fog lights go, this is “the road less traveled,” but it’s the road I’ve committed to and I want to do it right. If you have got some information or have pulled this swap off please share what you have found! Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
That is a good question. If you do not have the wiring there already, I have had those power distribution centers apart to do custom wiring. Not hard. But I do understand that you want to be all OEM

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good question. If you do not have the wiring there already, I have had those power distribution centers apart to do custom wiring. Not hard. But I do understand that you want to be all OEM
I am no expert when it comes to vehicle electronics, so I tend to avoid adding foreign wiring when possible. Last thing I want to do is set my Jeep on fire lol

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am no expert when it comes to vehicle electronics, so I tend to avoid adding foreign wiring when possible. Last thing I want to do is set my Jeep on fire lol

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Frankly I think it is more trouble then it is worth but like 4.3L XJ I get it.
So what I think I know.
Chances are there are no terminals in your PDC for the relays.
I am not sure why there are 2 relays by the way.
Anyway, so no terminals to me means no wiring.
Now you have bought the headlight harness for an XJ with fog lights.
It has big connector on the end that plugs in behind the driver's side headlight in the engine compartment.
So there are two wires on the connectors for the fog lights on the harness you grabbed.
Power and ground.
IMO first thing you have to do is determine if the wires for power and ground in the headlight harness have corresponding wires in that big connector behind the driver's side headlight.
If there are then you are part way there. If not you will have to repin that connector with some.
Here is the thing I don't know. Where they go from there.
And you could probably figure it out with schematics but it would take some work just to do that.
And if you don't have any wiring in the PDC, fuse box in the engine compartment by the way, you will have to split that open and add some.
Go here and download the FSM, Factory Service Manual, for the 2000.

Even though you have an '00 I am betting that wiring schematic in there would still apply.
But it is going to take some work on your part to read them, figure out what wires you care about, and if they are there.
I say just wire them like aftermarket ones would be and call it a day.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frankly I think it is more trouble then it is worth but like 4.3L XJ I get it.
So what I think I know.
Chances are there are no terminals in your PDC for the relays.
I am not sure why there are 2 relays by the way.
Anyway, so no terminals to me means no wiring.
Now you have bought the headlight harness for an XJ with fog lights.
It has big connector on the end that plugs in behind the driver's side headlight in the engine compartment.
So there are two wires on the connectors for the fog lights on the harness you grabbed.
Power and ground.
IMO first thing you have to do is determine if the wires for power and ground in the headlight harness have corresponding wires in that big connector behind the driver's side headlight.
If there are then you are part way there. If not you will have to repin that connector with some.
Here is the thing I don't know. Where they go from there.
And you could probably figure it out with schematics but it would take some work just to do that.
And if you don't have any wiring in the PDC, fuse box in the engine compartment by the way, you will have to split that open and add some.
Go here and download the FSM, Factory Service Manual, for the 2000.

Even though you have an '00 I am betting that wiring schematic in there would still apply.
But it is going to take some work on your part to read them, figure out what wires you care about, and if they are there.
I say just wire them like aftermarket ones would be and call it a day.

Thanks, Ralph77!!! That was quite helpful and I appreciate you providing the link for the service manual! I didn’t realize that manual was what I was looking for!
Looks like I need to look into the PDC to find out if I have terminals for relay acceptance there or not. According to the 2000 service manual in section 8O-1 (p. 511-520 on the downloadable copy) I should be able to pull the “relay cassettes” apart to find out if I have the correct wires or not. I’ll try to look at in in the next couple of days and get back to the thread for an update.
And yeah, just adding a stand alone relay with new wires and switch would be the simplest way, but I definitely want to look into the OEM parts. If it can be done, I feel like it should be done and I want to do it with the parts Jeep provided us as an option.
We shall see...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sorry meant to say that you had an '01.

I will be really curious what you come up with.
And if you do this detailed specifics on what you did.

I myself have picked up a headlight harness with fog lights.
Am thinking of swapping it in.

I am adding an aux fuse box and some more lighting to my '00.
But instead of trying to make it look factory like you just going for looking "more" factory.

My guess is that the corresponding wires for the fog lights in the connector that harness plugs into are not there.
So I was thinking of pinning in the power ones and running them to a central location where all my relays will be.
And just ground the wires for the fog lights somewhere by them under the Jeep.

It is a lot of work for little gain IMO though.
Cause out of the connector that the headlight harness plugs into I will have a separate piece of split loom with both power wires in there.
Running to where ever my relays end up.
At the moment thinking on the firewall on the passenger side.
And putting the aux fuse box, with a circuit breaker, over by the master cylinder.
But that could all change too once I actually get into it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh another thing you might want to consider is doing the headlight harness upgrade while you are in there doing the fog lights.
Google it.
Guys have reported it has increased headlight output by 30%. With regular headlights.
I have no problem with the output of the headlights. But don't do a lot of night driving either.
The main reason I did it was cause it has also been said that the headlight switch is a weak point in that system.
Since the headlight harness upgrade has it's own relays and power supposedly it take some of the stress off the headlight switch.
Something you might want to consider.
Since you kind of are already in there. LOL.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it’s probably a long shot those wires are there, but I really hope they are. It would seem it would have been easier for Jeep to make all of the PDCs wiring harnesses for all the the Cherokees the same and just change the headlight harnesses for the specific orders for each individual Jeep as they came across the production line but, I digress. I know Jeep would do weird things in the production line. I could be mistaken, but I believe my XJ was one of those weird things where it was made and sold as 2001 “Classic”, but (if I’m not mistaken) the “Classic” trim level was not supposed to be a 2001 option... Mine was manufactured 06/00 so it could be one of the earliest ‘01s.

Currently mine has some crazy bright LEDs in place of the halogen bulbs that the PO installed. I’m not sure how they are hooked up, but if I change the headlight harness to accommodate the fog light harness, I may go back with halogen bulbs and look into the the headlight harness upgrade for the light boost.

I am sure running the auxiliary fuse box will do just fine for whatever added lights and Knick-knack-patty-wacks you are looking to add, but for my application I want there to be no evidence mine was modified to have factory fogs. But, there again, depending on what I find, I may be doing it the way everyone else has been doing it since Cherokees and aftermarket relays have existed together..

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not that it really matters but are you sure yours is an '01.
Cause if I had to guess it is an '00.
Manufacture date of 06/00 seems a little early in the year to make it an '01.
If it were 09/00 or 10/00 then maybe.
Title actually says '01?
Any evidence that the driver's door might have been swapped out at some point?

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, title says it is a 2001, VIN verified it as an '01 through insurance. Insurance had to label it as a "Sport" in their system because "Classic" was not listed as an option for the year. Both doors with the classic badges are original and has never been in an accident. So far, all of the "Classic" options hold up. Overhead compartment, all power windows, door locks, mirrors, front and rear map lights, manual seats, etc... Even has the "4.0 Litre" badge on the liftgate that I believe only made it on '01 models. '97-'00 should have said "4.0L" I even have the HO 4.0L with the coil on plug... I think she might be a rare bird that escaped, but that's only a guess. I just dropped a picture in the "Show y'lls rigs" threads.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, title says it is a 2001, VIN verified it as an '01 through insurance. Insurance had to label it as a "Sport" in their system because "Classic" was not listed as an option for the year. Both doors with the classic badges are original and has never been in an accident. So far, all of the "Classic" options hold up. Overhead compartment, all power windows, door locks, mirrors, front and rear map lights, manual seats, etc... Even has the "4.0 Litre" badge on the liftgate that I believe only made it on '01 models. '97-'00 should have said "4.0L" I even have the HO 4.0L with the coil on plug... I think she might be a rare bird that escaped, but that's only a guess. I just dropped a picture in the "Show y'lls rigs" threads.
Excuse me.. "What does y'all's rigs look like" thread

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
'00 would have the coil on plug as you put it too and the same badge on the hatch saying 4.0.
Till '99 it was a decal back there.
Nice looking rig. Went to check it out.
Kinda what I am trying to do with mine. Just a Sport but have added a ton of factory options to her that she did not come with.
My '00 Limited/Up Country/Police Version/European Orvis XJ clone build. LOL.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Limiteds are so nice🤤. Electric seats, door pockets, tan interior; oooo mama... right up there with the brairwoods!
Those are heated/power seats. LOL. But are Agate cause I can't find any Camel ones.
But those CoverKing seat covers hide that for the most part. LOL.

I really like the European tail lights too!
Not European. European would still have amber in them and spot for the rear fog lights.
I liked the idea of getting rid of all the amber lenses, replacing them with white ones, up front and in back.
They are just aftermarket ones.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those are heated/power seats. LOL. But are Agate cause I can't find any Camel ones.
But those CoverKing seat covers hide that for the most part. LOL.

Not European. European would still have amber in them and spot for the rear fog lights.
I liked the idea of getting rid of all the amber lenses, replacing them with white ones, up front and in back.
They are just aftermarket ones.
Oh yeah, I was just saying I like the European tails in general, lol
I know lots of folks like the clear lenses, but I love the amber ones against the PBT. I'm even looking into tinting the fogs a matching amber to offer more contrast and having more of a running light appearance. Just a film that sticks on and peals off if I change my mind.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not that it really matters but are you sure yours is an '01.
Cause if I had to guess it is an '00.
Manufacture date of 06/00 seems a little early in the year to make it an '01.
If it were 09/00 or 10/00 then maybe.
Title actually says '01?
Any evidence that the driver's door might have been swapped out at some point?
Hey there Ralph,

Yeah, I looked into a VIN search and sure enough, my Cherokee is a 2001 Classic trim. Was manufactured in Taledo, Ohio and has never had any reported accidents. It definitely shouldn’t exist a a classic, but lo and behold...
Anyone else out there have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic. If it has fog lights, it could very well be a unicorn!

31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Dan H nails the Fog Light Dilemma in this video.

looks like I will be forced to run aftermarket wires and relays for my fog install In lux of swapping harnesses, or cutting my harness apart to add add the correct wires for the relays in the PDC...

It’s possible to swap factory fogs into your Jeep, but you need the correct PDC harness along with the relays, the factory switch and the headlight harness.

😥

·
Premium Member
9,829 Posts
Actually, you just need to add an inline fuse to the souce before the switch. If you cannot find a switch, Carling Switch has quality switches rated up to 20 amps. Not sure about your Jeep, but the rocker switches fit the panels perfectly

1 - 20 of 33 Posts