Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2021 Jeep Cherokee 3 weeks ago. When the temps went to -20+ below zero it had a tough time starting even when I turned off everything I could find to lessen the pull on the battery. It came with a battery with 700 amp cold crank rating.

Had the battery tested and it was good. But I need the thing to start well. So, I bought an 800 amp AGM battery. It's working well.

Not sure if being tough to start is going to be a trend? Anyone hear anything like this?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Glad that fixed your cold start problems. I have older stuff, but use Optima batteries. Basically they are not a lead acid set up, but just six big capacitors. They work well with heavy loads and charge up really fast.

Reactions: Hayhauler

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
If upping the CCA worked then great. Just to be clear, newer vehicles all operate on a timed starting cycle. I'm just checking to make sure you know that and that the car may crank for a moment longer than an older vehicle you are used to.

This applies to all temperatures but cold would probably exacerbate the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. It started and stopped repeatedly and would eventually take. I wonder how hard that is on the starter and battery.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Its not great for it. If you had to cycle a couple times then yeah, its hard starting and should be firing quicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts