Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get an all metal radiator radiator far my 93 cherokee? I'm tired of being paronoid of the plastic one that comes in these things. I'm always scared that I'll pickup a rock or some other type of debris from the road and poke a hole in this cheap POS!:brickwall:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I got mine from radiatorbarn.com. Good folks. Get a 3 core while you are at it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Looks like Radiator barn is the place to go!:thumbsup:
I've read where the 2 core flows more air than the 3 core. Do you think this is true and does the 3 core fit in the top saddles alright?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I've read where the 2 core flows more air than the 3 core. Do you think this is true and does the 3 core fit in the top saddles alright?:dunno:
I think that might be true if the tube size is smaller in the 3 core. I specifically asked that question about this 3 core and I was assured that the tube sizes where the same, there are just more of them.

I've run mine for a while now, less than a year though. And it didn't make as big a change as I thought it would over the all metal 2 core I had before, but it does cool down quicker once you get moving again. 212 back to 190's for example.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that might be true if the tube size is smaller in the 3 core. I specifically asked that question about this 3 core and I was assured that the tube sizes where the same, there are just more of them.

I've run mine for a while now, less than a year though. And it didn't make as big a change as I thought it would over the all metal 2 core I had before, but it does cool down quicker once you get moving again. 212 back to 190's for example.
Did the 3 core fit OK? Did ya have to do any fabbing to get it to fit?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Did the 3 core fit OK? Did ya have to do any fabbing to get it to fit?
The electric fan rubbed a hole in one of the fins. I got a replacement from Radiatorbarn and I took a file to the efan shroud to trim it down a bit.

Other than that nothing. Went right in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The electric fan rubbed a hole in one of the fins. I got a replacement from Radiatorbarn and I took a file to the efan shroud to trim it down a bit.

Other than that nothing. Went right in.
Great pics! Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the 2 core because I have twin electric fans on mine. Thanks for all the help, everyone.:cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
more cores = more fluid capacity and more cooling because all tubes are the same. there is no constriction between 3 and 2 core, so you're best off spending a few extra bucks on the 3 core right now and re-mounting your e-fans to it.

why are you even bothering to run dual e-fans? when they fail on the trail, you're screwed. when the mechanical fan clutch fails on the trail, 9 times out of 10 you can lock it to a 1:1 ratio and have it still do it's job.

and is 2 or 3 horsepower really such a gain that you need to go to dual electrical fans? I'm extremely content with my mech. and elec. fan to be quite honest.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The only real problem I have had with my XJ in 140k miles it the cooling system. I agree, go with the 3 core.

I'm going to be replacing my mechanical fan with an electric, but simply because of the cooling issues I have had, and continue to have during the summer. It runs upwards of 230 at 70 mph in near 100 degree temps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered a 3 core from Radiator barn this morning. They called and said it would ship today. I run electric fans because the clutch fan went bad and I trust the hayden e-fan that I installed to probably outlast the Jeep. When first installed, temps would run 210 degrees all day long and still does when coolant level is @ proper level. And thats running the AC in NC summer traffic!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Ordered a 3 core from Radiator barn this morning. They called and said it would ship today. I run electric fans because the clutch fan went bad and I trust the hayden e-fan that I installed to probably outlast the Jeep. When first installed, temps would run 210 degrees all day long and still does when coolant level is @ proper level. And thats running the AC in NC summer traffic!
I like the idea of a constant air flow from the fan as opposed to that clutch fan. When we were building small block chevys we took off those fan clutches and replaced it with a spacer and a better fan.

Do you have a link, or more specific information on the electric fan you used?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the idea of a constant air flow from the fan as opposed to that clutch fan. When we were building small block chevys we took off those fan clutches and replaced it with a spacer and a better fan.

Do you have a link, or more specific information on the electric fan you used?
I got it @ O'reiley's. I think it was a 12" or maybe 13" diameter and the shallowest one they had for water pump clearance issues. It was a Hayden brand (The very best brand).I wired it along with the other factory fan and the thermostat that comes with the new fan. There are very easy directions that come with it. It's pretty simple. Even I could figure it out!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered a 3 core from radiatorbarn yesterday morning and they called me back within 15 minutes and said they were shipping it out right away. $175.00 to my door. I got home tonight and here it is. What great service! Great quality also! Highly recomended!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I ordered a 3 core from radiatorbarn yesterday morning and they called me back within 15 minutes and said they were shipping it out right away. $175.00 to my door. I got home tonight and here it is. What great service! Great quality also! Highly recomended!
Yes, they treated me good as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the new radiator in last weekend along with a new thermostat and new water pump for insurance purposes. Everything went well and fit great. What a great upgarde!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts