Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I killed another alternator. Glub Glub. I bought it from Autozone with the lifetime warranty. I spoke to the dude today and asked if I could upgrade it and pay the difference. He checked and said sure. about $60.00 to go to a 136 amp one from a 98 ZJ.

1996 XJ 90 amp alt

1998 ZJ 136 amp alt

I ordered upgraded cables from XJWonders, and a relocation bracket from C Miller Customs. So that means bye bye A/C which I didn't use anyhow.

This mod is also gonna cause me to get rid of the mechanical fan and replace it with a Taurus 3.8 2 speed fan wired to a toggle switch in the cab.

I plan to keep updating this thread to track my activities and progress.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Why not a 160a out of a Durango?

The plug would have to have been swapped over, but it would have sat in the same place with the same custom mount. Or at least I believe it would have....

What gauge are the cables?

:mfpopcorn:

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna go with 160 amp. But I went ahead and ordered the 2 gauge wires.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Even if you don't use the AC, its super handy to have as OBA. Electric fan is ok I guess, so aside from the 160amp point, Id say "Awesome!"

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if you don't use the AC, its super handy to have as OBA. Electric fan is ok I guess, so aside from the 160amp point, Id say "Awesome!"
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I finally got started. Removed the A/C compressor, broke 3 bolts, removed the bracket which included the mechanical fan hub. removed the alternator, which was a pain in the *** even with all that other stuff removed. installed the relocation bracket and installed a new 136 amp alt from a 98 ZJ. I may go to a 160 later. But I was trying to get this finished by the weekend.

Some pics of the tear down.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
92 taurus 3.8l cooling fan.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
98 ZJ 136 amp alternator. I got 2 gauge cables coming. I was gonna get a 160amp alt from a durango, but didn't want to have to deal with the wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Dats perdy righ dhere...

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
You will need that extra amperage with that Taurus fan. I have found from experience that the fan will cook normal relays. I even cooked two rated for 50 amps. I finally used a golf cart solenoid to solve that

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You will need that extra amperage with that Taurus fan. I have found from experience that the fan will cook normal relays. I even cooked two rated for 50 amps. I finally used a golf cart solenoid to solve that
I am using a 40A relay for the low side, and a 100a for the high side.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Today's activities;
Hacked up the fan shroud, using tin snips and side cuts!! :eek: It's actually rotated 90* to fit in as close as possible. I removed the alternator to give me a little more clearance while I put in and took out the shroud a hundred thousand times!!!! Install, mark, remove, cut/snip, test fit. Mark, remove, cut/snip, test fit. repeat as necessary, which is a LOT! I probably have 6 hours in just fitting the shroud.

I've seen people use rubber stripping to get a close seal to the radiator, but mine is about 1/4" away and since that is less than factory shroud, I'm gonna go with it.

I bought an aluminum door sill plate, which worked out really good for mounting the shroud. It was about 3' long and I cut it about 15" for the top and 17" for the bottom.

I drilled holes and installed 1/4" nutserts for mounting the top and bottom brackets. I had just enough room without hitting the radiator using 1/4" x 3/4" large panhead stainless steel screws. On the bottom, I used some heavy flashing to fill in the gap below the radiator. This fan is 16" in diameter and the radiator is only 11". But this baby can move some air. I haven't finished the wiring and switches, but I get anxious and use jumpers from the battery to "test it" :D

After I was happy with the shroud I installed the alternator using my new relocation bracket, and installed a new 69" belt. Not sure if I had the adjuster all the way loose but the belt fit tight.

I started it up and the alt worked great. I was getting 14.3 volts. Turned on the headlights, and blower on high, and still never dropped below 13 volts and the battery was low from me running the engine without an alternator. So I think I will be OK.

And now for some eye candy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
:mfpopcorn:

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished the wiring(mostly), I have included the links to the writeup I copied from. The wiring is actually pretty easy and simple. I ran 2 yellow wires for the taurus fan Hi and lo speed relays, 2 whites for the ECM relay control, and 1 blue wire for relay power from the AUX fan relay. Using 2, 3 position toggles switches, Off-On-Off, I can have everything controlled by the ECM with either the taurus fan on low or hi, all off, and I can manually override the ECM and turn both fans on.

Power for the Taurus fan Hi/Lo relays (yellow) actually comes directly from the fuse box on the wire that goes to the AUX fan motor (blue).
ECM override comes via the white wires and you just cut the ECM wire to the AUX fan relay and splice it into the circuit. Using the 3 way toggle, with the toggle forward you basically connect the wire back together and the ECM controls the relay. Pull it to the middle (off) and you you brake this connection and shut both fans off. Pull it to the rear and you ground the white wire to the AUX fan relay and it overrides the ECM and turns both fans on. Pretty simple really.

Although not included in the write-ups, I'm gonna install a little LED light between the toggles. this way I will know when the fans are on!. :D

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTaurusFanInstall2.htm

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoTaurusFanInstall3.htm

Just a few more pics from todays accomplishments.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you get tired of that fan setup check mine out. If you wanna have less amp draw use spal fans. I run 3 10in one is on all the time one is hooked to the stock wiring and one to a 185-195 thermostat on a heater hose. Only time the 3rd fan comes on is if I'm parked or wheeling like a mofo.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If you get tired of that fan setup check mine out. If you wanna have less amp draw use spal fans. I run 3 10in one is on all the time one is hooked to the stock wiring and one to a 185-195 thermostat on a heater hose. Only time the 3rd fan comes on is if I'm parked or wheeling like a mofo.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
now ya tell me. :rolleyes: JK. I will definitely look into that. Hacking the taurus fan shroud up was a pain in the ***.

Which build?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts