Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to swap stock alternator ot of my 91 which has a 92 engine and parts for a rebuilt high amp, and sealed one from a 99xj. Can I do this or am I goin to have pulley alignment problems or wire hookup issues?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
you would have to look at the conections and see if they are the same. if they are not it should not be a bicg deal st chan connections to make it work.
as far as the alignment you would probably have to put it on the bracket and see if its the same.
as far as the 92 engine in a 91 well its the same thing.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It can be done, just make sure that you grab the pigtail for the '99 alternator driver plug.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another option the 98 GC's with the 4.0 came with the same alternators as early model XJ's stock but had a 120 amp upgrade option. As far as I know the plugs are the same and the mounting backets are the same. You should be able to do a direct swap.

·
Registered
934 Posts
IIRC, to get the 98 GC alternator to mount up nicely, some grinding of the alternator bracket is required to fit the larger case.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
IIRC, to get the 98 GC alternator to mount up nicely, some grinding of the alternator bracket is required to fit the larger case.
Yup you are right, there is a little bit of grinding involved but they do match up very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts