Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

681 - 700 of 704 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Gemini hasn't got much love lately. Life is a mess. The new tires rub on about a turn of the steering wheel. I think my axle needs pushed forward about an inch. I'm considering CAD, Control Arm Drop Brackets. These ones in particular,

Rocky Road Outfitters
After consulting the company I think I would have to cut off the top of the frame brace due to my frame stiffeners, if so I would just weld the angle bracket to the stiffeners.

Thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Tried to go back and look, but didn't see it. What control arms do you have now? I was thinking you bought some metalcloak like me but I can't remember. It might be worth just trying to extend your current arms and skip adding another bracket to hang down.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
I have metalcloak uppers but my lowers are fixed length.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Time for new lowers!

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
I'm really at a crossroads. Spend the money for drop brackets and keep the same lowers. If I get adjustable lowers, my angles are still the same, Or go long arms. The cost difference is considerable.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Long arms is probably the smart move for you, but I think my front end does great with Metalcloak uppers and lowers. In theory you should be able to push them out a little more for better clearance if you want. Im not sure how much thread is left for you since your lift is taller than mine.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
My uppers have full adjustment available. They were wound in as tight as they would go. The lowers do have a small amount of adjustment at the rear mounting bolt. But that is maybe only half a inch. Which would be even less considering the angle they are at. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Gluck where exactly are you rubbing with your 35s on 4.5” springs? Asking cause I was really set on basically the same setup, so thanks for being my Guinea pig...

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
The rear of my cut front fenders. The 15" wheels don't have much backspacing. I'm not sure how much but they look deep from the outside. And they rub into my rock sliders. Which means they won't get cut on my fenders. :D I am going to cut my sliders back about an inch and move my flares a bit. That should give me about an inch. Keep in mind, this is setting level and zero flex. Giggity Giggity. Moving my axle forward is probably going to be my best bet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Gluck I'm running the re drop brackets. Ive ran them on 2 jeeps and couldn't be happier feels great on and off road. My buddies mj has longarms and it's pretty nice to but when you go long arms don't buy cheap shit. He has rough country and has to fix them just about every time after he wheels. Now saying that rough country does make some decent products. I have their new shocks n3 and I ran their 2.2. very happy with those both. They also have drop brackets and they are well built. if my re brackets were not open box on Amazon I would be running the rc ones.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
I emailed RC when I started this quest, and they said their brackets would not work with frame stiffeners. The Rocky Road probably wouldn't either but I think I could cut the angle bracket to fit. Then weld it to the frame. RC has a different style angle bracket but once again, nothing a grinder and torch can't handle.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I'd cut and weld. I don't know why they wouldn't fit. I don't have the braces that go behind the re ones because they wouldn't work on the mj. Id just buy the Rubicon Express without braces and make your own

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a set. They look like RC without the RCX cut into the bracket. 153 shipped. Probably cheap china knockoffs. Got them on ebay. They don't have any moving parts. We shall see.
EBAY control arm drop brackets.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I bought my drop brackets (Rubicon Express) off craigslist, the guy was going to build a Mj and decided he wanted to change hobbies. Was getting ride of everything he accumulated. (I also bought a t-case with a SYE from him), it did not come with the brace support. I have mid stiffeners to weld in and then I plan on tackling making the brace to fit. I am very happy with the drop brackets. Not a bad alternative at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I emailed RC when I started this quest, and they said their brackets would not work with frame stiffeners. The Rocky Road probably wouldn't either but I think I could cut the angle bracket to fit. Then weld it to the frame. RC has a different style angle bracket but once again, nothing a grinder and torch can't handle.
I don't see you having any fitment issues with the brackets themselves, it's just the bracing that may take a little bit of modifying to fit properly with the frame stiffners. They use the castor shim holes at the back of the mount, so just slot them on the brace to account for the thicker material on the frame side and they should line up at the control arm box. Where they mount to the bottom of the frame a few 1" long stitch welds along them should suffice and make removal not awfully terrible down the road.

I love mine. For the $150 they cost it's a decent alternative until you're ready for long arms.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
So the 2 bolts I circled are just big self tapers anyway. They barely do anything imho and in the many sets I've installed they normally strip out. If I had stiffners this is the only spot I would worry about welding.

The dash line is where the 2 little bolts come through for the castor bracket. If you just vertically slot those holes to account for the added thickness of the stiffners they'll line right up. A small amount of brace will hang below the control arm mounts so I assume youll grind that off. But it's gonna be like 1/4" extra.

Other than those 2 mods I don't see you having any issues having stiffners.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
Yep I agree! Some minor mods and she will be mint!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
You won't regret it

681 - 700 of 704 Posts