Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 1999 Cherokee Sport home tonight, Has a few issues that I have identified so far... Drivers seat is held in place by a ratchet strap, and feels like I am sitting in a bucket. Exhaust is pretty loud, I am guessing it may be has a few holes in the exhaust system.. Brakes are barely there, right front sounds like the rotor is mostly gone, Rockers are mostly rusted out with some rust on the doors, door jambs look good! Right rear tire is worn out, and that is the one that I couldn't get the lug nuts off on. now that it is home, I will be a bit more aggressive on those nuts..get out the big impact guns!!

Lots of work to do and luckily I don't need it for transportation right now. first off is a battery and current license plates.... yes, that is my Land Rover behind it..
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive side marker light Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Sure looks nice, good luck

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Yo from Iowa. Nice Jeep, and rover too. What are you doing this weekend? Hop in the rover and head south to central Iowa for the All Breeds Jeep Show (rovers, broncos, blazers, etc are all welcome).

Looks like a fun project. Good luck on those lugnuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got a bit of time to beat on the jeep, New hood latch cable installed! no more vice grip on what is left of the cable..

Got one of the 5 lug nuts off on the right rear wheel, then my socket gave out. Need to pick up a deep 3/4 socket , that and a 6 ft steel pipe on the torque wrench broke one nut loose, and tore the cover off another.

yup gonna fight me all the way! Heading down to Ace Hardware for keys and maybe another socket (??)

Moved Jeep to the back yard so I can leave it up on the jackstand instead of leaving out on the street. Yes I need a garage, or at least a driveway!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update***** got 3 more off (total of 4 out of 5) last one is being quite stubborn. I drilled through the end of the nut (cover) and filled it with penetrating oil for a few hours which got off the 3, plus a 5 ft bar, but the last one the cover stripped and I used the impact to melt the cover by spinning it, and peeled most of the cover off. Using a 18mm socket, it still won't budge. I need a deep socket so I am stepping back until it arrives. I did put 3 new lug nuts on just for safety (not tight) and they are the solid ones. I am guessing one stud is cross threaded as it won't go on easily so it will be replaced.... eventually!! now this old man needs a rest!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up drilling out the stud through the lug nut. It came apart nicely and I am glad I used that method instead of using a torch. Once the rim was off, I pulled the brake drum and found remains of the adjuster falling out. The shoes were just a fraction of an inch above the rivets so they will need to be replaced too. Since I wasn't exactly in the center of the stud, I will probably have to grind it down before I can remove it for replacement. Just keep doing a bit at a time I guess.

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
A lot of fixes on these older rigs end up like that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts