Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2004 wj, 4.0, 4 wheel, 158,000mi. Always dependable any weather, any time.
The other day I was driving about 45mph and a deer ran in front of me and I hit the brakes hard. No impact but the engine died and won't start back.
Now I say won't start..it rolls over fine but won't fire. It will fire when I prime it and sounds fine until it burns that gas then dies again.
I can hear the fuel pump buzzing fine..few seconds when key is in the on position and while cranking.
I do most of my own mechanics but I'm puzzled on this one.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
This sounds like a crank shaft position sensor or a cam shaft position sensor. I would also look into if the secuirity system has been triggered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I work a 4 day weekend so I'll try that Tuesday.
I'll let ya know what I find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, first thought was CPS. In fact I think maybe your braking physically shifted the CPS (crank position sensor, on top of the bell housing), or shifted some dirt into the space between the CPS and the inner part of the bell housing, so now the magnet doesn't pick up how is should. Access is difficult so look at it under the hood so you know where you're going, then get under it and use your hand and your memory to find the location. Feel for that rubber grommet, make sure it's in place, and it's not full of mud around there. Also feel the sensor itself for wiggle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts