Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 93 yj wrangler for a 98 cherokee with 6" lift and 33" tires. this cherokee is built and my wrangler wasn't. Any idea why my wrangler was worth close to 1,500 more than this cherokee on kbb???

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Let's not talk too much about it. If people really knew the longevity and capability of the XJ there would be a higher demand. I think most people just look at is as a station wagon. There were a lot of them made, so they are common.

When I bought mine I only got it because it was a little more (per month) than a Wrangler. Both my wife and I wanted a Wrangler (or that type) since we were young, but having a family we thought the XJ would work out better.

I had no idea what a great vehicle that we bought until about 3 years ago.

I think it is just a matter of perception. After all what people are willing to pay for something really sets the price of the object.

·
Registered
606 Posts
:dunno:I don't understand it either all the wranglers I looked at were several thousand dollar's more than a xj that is why I got my cherokee

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
:dunno:I don't understand it either all the wranglers I looked at were several thousand dollar's more than a xj that is why I got my cherokee
Wranglers (that body type) hold their value very very well, and they have done so since I was looking at them at the age of 18, over 30 years ago! It's just supply and demand.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
well for years aswell the wrangler had way more aftermarket parts for a build than any of the jeeps. it really wasnt until a couple years ago when the cherokees finally took off. when i bought my first xj 5 years ago, i was the only lifted one of the road near me. now when i drive down the road a see them a lot more frequently.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Shhhhh!!!!!:d

·
Registered
608 Posts
Keep it quiet!!! I like buying them for $3000 and under!!!

Plus everyone wants a Wrangler... Pffft.
(Well I kinda still want one...but just for going to the beach or canoeing...Still like my XJ's better...)

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
YJ's and TJ's will always hold their value. They're a convertible SUV with hard and soft top options, manual or auto, 4WD, etc etc. Then you have the Rubicons which hold their value even more. They also are equally as dependable as XJ's and appeal to a huge variety of people. All these things push their prices up.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
The simple fact that Wranglers, in any form, are still in production also pushes their resale value up. When a brand name is discontinued, despite nostalgia and driver loyalty (fine folks like ourselves), the marketing behind that brand name is now gone. The Wrangler is still being marketed as the fun, go anywhere vehicle, and some people see that appeal but can't afford a brand new JK, so they get a TJ off a dealer trade-in. If the Cherokee were still being marketed, the same rule would apply.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The simplest answer is the old rule of Supply Vs. Demand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts