Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 grand cherokee with a 4.7. This little truck ran perfect until I came home one night a few weeks ago and parked it. When I got up in the morning it would not start and never has since. It will turn over but makes no attempt to fire or start. The gauges are dead (although they work fine during testing), and the obd 2 port does not get any readings. Apparently it is also dead. The no key or key with a circle and a line through it is on and stays on (not blinking). So I am assuming the security system has shut everything down or one of the control modules fried, but I can't figure out how to tell which thing has gone bad. Do we really have to just start blindly replacing these expensive parts until I accidentally hit the right one? I have tried starter fluid and have replaced the cam and crank position sensors with zero effect. Still crank no start. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I am not a WJ expert. I'm not fully aware of all of the differences between a ZJ and a WJ. However, it sounds like you should start off by examining the ECM and all of the plugs. Your symptoms are consistent with a bad ECM, Bad ECM plugs, or bad ECM grounding.

I would also check the Automatic Shut Down relay and accompanying circuitry.

It could be as simple as a bad ground wire from or to the ECM, Security System relay, or any other ignition sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not a WJ expert. I'm not fully aware of all of the differences between a ZJ and a WJ. However, it sounds like you should start off by examining the ECM and all of the plugs. Your symptoms are consistent with a bad ECM, Bad ECM plugs, or bad ECM grounding.

I would also check the Automatic Shut Down relay and accompanying circuitry.

It could be as simple as a bad ground wire from or to the ECM, Security System relay, or any other ignition sensors.
Thank you for the response. I will look into that. As a side note...the carpet on the drivers side was wet and it rained the night i parked it. I wondered if somehow water may have entered through the sunlight and got on or near the fuse box. I have checked visually and cannot find any sign of moisture but of course that may have dried out in a day or two having already shorted something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts