Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience workin on grand am brakes? i just replaced my gf's front brakes and the rears are still like new. This is the second time i replaced the front brakes in 7 years and the rears are still the same. It seems they are not getting used back there and I was gonna go about adjusting them like I do on the jeep but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust it. I was looking for the adjuster but there is none.

She's been having this problem is the ABS light coming on everytime she uses the brakes (backing up from parking lot). Originally I thought it was the front brakes being gone, which they were (pads low, rotors worn beyond the rotor surface!) but it still does the light thing after the repair. The brakes work just fine and all that, it's just the abs light popping on every time. I hate ABS! What da hell is wrong with these cars....

I keep telling her the brake system is fubar and she must buy a jeep to fix it but she's not falling for that yet...:(

·
Registered
934 Posts
ABS light = a bad wheel speed sensor somewhere. Usually integrated into the hub bearings on those J body cars. The rear brakes do have an adjuster, just not your typical 'star' adjuster.

·
Registered
606 Posts
what year ? It is rear drum brake's or disc's

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1999 SE rear drum brakes.

Prior to the new pads/rotors, the brakes would shudder really fast when braking, almost like how abs works when it kicks in on snow or ice surfaces. It was a faster shudder though (felt through the pedal). After the repair, the brakes worked fine but light keeps popping on.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I have a '99 Toyota 4Runner. The front brakes are shot (original brakes) at 116,000 miles, but my rear drums easily have another 20,000 miles left. The rear brakes do minimal braking compared to the front, so I personally wouldn't be all that worried about it. Are you experiencing alot of nose dive? If you are, then the proportioning valve may be where your problem lies. The rears may just not be getting enough "power".

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a '99 Toyota 4Runner. The front brakes are shot (original brakes) at 116,000 miles, but my rear drums easily have another 20,000 miles left. The rear brakes do minimal braking compared to the front, so I personally wouldn't be all that worried about it. Are you experiencing alot of nose dive? If you are, then the proportioning valve may be where your problem lies. The rears may just not be getting enough "power".
I don't notice any nose dive. It brakes fine. I was just wondering cuz I could see my TJ's rear brakes wear down over a couple years but the grand am's brakes are still like new after 6 years. Not that I really care cuz i swear I will succeed in getting her to trade it for a jeep :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most FWD's wear the fronts more than the rears.

GM ABS brake adjusters are there but like was stated earlier, they are not the normal "star". I cannot recall what they actually look like.

The ABS light coming on is a warning that there is a malfunction in the ABS system itself. Has nothing to do with the hydraulic portion of the brakes.

MOST times it is a wheel speed sensor. Often a bad wire or damaged connector.

A repair manual will be your biggest asset... NOT a Haynes or Chiltons.
Those are only good for those people that need help changing thier oil.

Look around for a FSM. May cost a bit more but well worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts