Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyle and I bought a 20 gal. tank last night, and are starting out with some guppies. We have been debating about what fish to get once we get the water balanced. This is a freshwater tank....anyone have any experience with fish? Any suggestions? Alot of the original ideas we had for fish are turning out to be saltwater fish (clownfish, butterfly fish, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Kyle and I bought a 20 gal. tank last night, and are starting out with some guppies. We have been debating about what fish to get once we get the water balanced. This is a freshwater tank....anyone have any experience with fish? Any suggestions? Alot of the original ideas we had for fish are turning out to be saltwater fish (clownfish, butterfly fish, etc).
Two things come to mind.

Don't tap on the glass (watch Finding Nemo)
Stay away from a salt water setup unless you want to quit you day job.

Actually it might be easier now, but salt water setups I have heard are really a chore. I'd keep it simple and see how the "cheap" fish survive.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two things come to mind.

Don't tap on the glass (watch Finding Nemo)
Stay away from a salt water setup unless you want to quit you day job.

Actually it might be easier now, but salt water setups I have heard are really a chore. I'd keep it simple and see how the "cheap" fish survive.
Yeah, we wanted to keep things freshwater for now...just trying to figure out what to put in there. Our little guppies are troopers, except I think we lost one :( Neither of us can find him... I think he got caught in the filter. It takes a couple minutes to count to make sure that they are all there because they're so little! They're about 3/4" I suppose.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ghost Cats are cool we got four.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Biggest mistake Aquarium novices make is Too Many Fish. The Rule of thumb is 1 Gallon of water per inch of fish in the tank. Second biggest mistake is overfeeding, no more than they can polish off in a couple of minutes. Buy a scavenger fish (bottom feeder) to eat what the others miss. For a Community tank good choices are Swordtails, Zebras, Tetras, the Kissing Gouarmis (sp?) are OK but some others are aggressive. Guppies are agressive Reproducers and the Adults consider the Small Fry food. A lot of plants will give the little ones a fighting chance. :)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Biggest mistake Aquarium novices make is Too Many Fish. The Rule of thumb is 1 Gallon of water per inch of fish in the tank. Second biggest mistake is overfeeding, no more than they can polish off in a couple of minutes. Buy a scavenger fish (bottom feeder) to eat what the others miss. For a Community tank good choices are Swordtails, Zebras, Tetras, the Kissing Gouarmis (sp?) are OK but some others are aggressive. Guppies are agressive Reproducers and the Adults consider the Small Fry food. A lot of plants will give the little ones a fighting chance. :)
What about a snail to keep the glass clean?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
My buddy had piranhas...they tend not to be friendly to the other fish though...

I have another buddy with a lionfish...but they are dangerous and make it kind of a hassle to feed and clean the tank...

Lionfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about a snail to keep the glass clean?
Snails are OK but You don't want garden variety ones from the local creek, they will over run the tank. Also from personal experience. African Frogs are cute but have Voracious apetites for fish! One earned His freedom from Me after He ate about $20 worth of fish! I know He probably couldn't survive the Winter, Frankly I didn't care at the time!:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
More free advice. When My Son was a Teenager He decided He wanted an Aquarium. He was working at Wal Mart at the time so that's where He got everything. The tank was properly set up and the water conditioned but Fish kept Dying. Wal Mart has a 24 or 48 hour guarantee but after 3 rounds I told Him to try Pet Smart. End of problem. Wal Mart's fish are not treated well and are often weak or sick. I would avoid them if possible, if not, Quarantine them for several days before introducing them to the tank.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I have 2 tanks. A 50 gallon with angel fish and a 10 Gallon with a couple of Black Moores for my daughter. Let it established before you get too many fish. I have a combination of Angel Fish (4), Cory Catfish (2), Plecostmus (1) and Bleeding Heart Tetras(8). I have very little trouble The angels I have are about a year old. They replaced the 4 I had for almost 8 years , They died of old age.
Some good site
Welcome to Tetra
Tropical Fish Care Guides

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay! Missing fishy saved. He decided to take a swim in the filter.

Thanks for all the help everyone, definitely a help.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
About 12 years ago we had a 20 gallon long and had a Jack Dempsey. When he died he was 5 yrs old and was 12 inches long. We couldn't keep anything else in the tank.He liked to eat feeder guppies,goldfish and any other fish. I also fed him the whole blocks of tubeflex worms. He would take all the gravel on the bottom and would pile them up at one end of the tank. My wife bought him not knowing what it was.......We found out what it was after he cleaned out all of the other fish including a giant Plecostemus. I would like to have another one day. This is what one looks like:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
More free advice. When My Son was a Teenager He decided He wanted an Aquarium. He was working at Wal Mart at the time so that's where He got everything. The tank was properly set up and the water conditioned but Fish kept Dying. Wal Mart has a 24 or 48 hour guarantee but after 3 rounds I told Him to try Pet Smart. End of problem. Wal Mart's fish are not treated well and are often weak or sick. I would avoid them if possible, if not, Quarantine them for several days before introducing them to the tank.
Ya dont worry we will be using our local fish shop for our fish needs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is good idea on Two fronts, supporting your Local economy and they are likely to know what they are doing and give out sound advice.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
does wal-mart still sell fish? I haven't seen any fish stuff in any of the walmarts around here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They do here too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts