Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those around Cook County, IL (NW-IN, S-WI, SW-MI, Metro-Chicago), and those who would come here....

So all of you around the Illinois area (esp. around Cook County) know our, deep profound fondness for the Forest Preserves. Well I seem to have stumbled upon quite a few areas that are not Forest Preserves per se, but county property alongside a few of our highways in areas where there is like F-all around. There were 4x4/quad tracks I ran across one day, so I decided to explore. (I know, naughty me, county land, alone, I get it...If it makes ya feel better, I whacked a rock pretty good w/ the '98...)

So this leads me to thinking of writing a proposal about how the county could be making extra $$$ by opening these lands to the off-road community for a small license fee, based on residency, and license length (i.e. daily, weekend, weekly, month, 3/4/6/12 months, etc). I do know that there are several Forest Preserves around that you can run your snowmobiles, so they can't be all up on the "No Motorized Vehicles" all the time.

So before I decide if I wanna do this and get all up into this thing, any thoughts on it? I mean it wouldn't be like no off-road park like Cliff's or the Badlands, but it would just be simple trails, and being county property, picnics and stuff I'm guessing...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well... if you can convince Stroger he can get some money out of it you MIGHT have a chance.

But.. if a devolper can convince him he will get more from devolping the land into more McMansions....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I think the area has to be excavated to like 8 feet below its current ground level, and I think the base material under it all is still iffy to begin with. A few told me they were back there and its kinda like a peat material, and it gets kinda like some nasty wet/swampy areas around spring or from a good storm...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts