Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all!

I recently found an awesome off road park not more than 15 miles from where my daughter goes to college. Subsequently, the boss (my wife) and I are contemplating taking the grand kids up to see their aunt at college and doing some off roading while up there.

My question is this, I am getting the XJ all prepared for a weekend of fun, and am trying to decide if I should purchase sway bar disconnects. I have read all the posts and researched doing the home brew disconnects, then I have read a lot into manufactured disconnects. I was looking at the XJ, which has stock style end links, and I can easily disconnect them with a 18mm socket and a rubber mallet, I can then swing the sway bar up and the links could clear the springs. Do I really need to spend $150 on fancy disconnects to get the same benefit?

I would like opinions and actual knowledge on the subject if possible. I'm very much an old school off roader from back when lockers were made of unobtanium, and disconnecting the sway bar was either unheard of or done with the above technique. Most of my experience was Moab back in the mid 1970's, I know technology has vastly improved over the last 50 years, but we got it done back then with minimal fancy, high dollar gear that I see most using today.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Whether or not you think they are worth it depends on what and how you wheel. If you are just motoring down the average trail, no. But if you are wheeling in something that will flex your suspension to its limits, then yes. You can gain some performance in those types of situations. Also the more you lift, the more you need to disconnect. The sway bar will not allow your front axle to move throughout your entire range because it is too short to do that

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you warriorsuspensions, I am aware of the benefits of disconnecting the sway bar while being off road. My questions was due to the ease of pulling off the stock sway bar links on the trail head is it worth spending the money for the disconnectable links?

·
Registered
258 Posts
well if you are already pulling the stock links, go for it. It will save you some time. Helpful hint. If you end up with the type that has a tube over stud with a pin, have someone push on the roof while you get it lined up. Goes quickly that way

·
Registered
1996 Cherokee xj
42 Posts
I just put a 6.5 inch rough country long arm kit on my xj and it came with the sway bar disconnects, to me with any lift kit I would suggest getting them over the stock style.

My dad bought this cherokee in 96 and I am the second owner, I can remember sometime around 2007 my mom was driving one day and heard something snap when going over a curb at the store. It was a stock sway bar connector, it had rusted and as the suspension flexed it snapped off the top in the threaded area. So I got a new one at oreilly's and put it on. I bought the xj from them about 7 years ago and this summer is when I put on the lift kit and both of the sway bar connectors broke off as I tried to take off the nuts.

After installing the rough country quick disconnects I can instantly see their advantage in how they flex with the pivot joints and the much higher quality over stock ones. So to me even if you don't disconnect them when wheeling they are a nice upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts