Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
61 - 80 of 137 Posts
I'm a noob... Been lurking this site for several years, finally sat down and read XJSuperman's build thread and getting ready to start on my 2000 XJ I've had sitting around way too long.

That's the silly thing from me: letting my XJ sit without selling my dog on eBay to get it roadworthy. :brickwall:

I'll try to snap some pics and figure out how to add to my profile...
Welcome and how about some pictures?

Working on pics, Rusty.

XJSuperman, I did read the entire post. I'll admit I had some time to kill, so I started reading it, then went off on a few tangents, (your trailer build thread, a few vendor links, YouTube how-to's, etc)

Took me an evening and a couple hours the next day, but I've learned a bit, and got some ideas on things I want to do to my XJ. It's completely stock from what I can tell, and has 109K miles. I've already sold the wife on the awning you have on yours.

Well thanks for reading! Best thing a noob can do is read up.

Just joined. Saw the sticky that said I was supposed to post. Here I am. I have an '87 that I want to restore or something. My mom actually bought it brand new in 1987 and I learned to drive on it, so its got some sentimental value beyond its regular Jeep value. I don't really have any idea what I'm doing, so it should be fun. I also have a '12 JK and the wife has a '17 Trailhawk. The boy has a Wrangler Powerwheel, so we are keeping it Jeep. Hoping to scour the board for lots of info while I bust my knuckles and curse a lot.

Howdy, Welcome to the Forum.

No better place for all your 87 cherokee needs. :D

Lots of info on here. And,

Post some pics. We love pics!!!

Newbie here! Detroit Mi
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 172xxx Miles, My baby!
Joined because I have a question I cant find any answers too and also because im in the process of adding new things on and getting ideas.

But, question I have is....
When I start it and take off and eventually hit 45mph, it beeps a few times, then goes away.
Won't do it again, stopping or going etc. Only if I shut off, and start again and hit 45. Only beeps a few times, no indicator lights turn on, not over heating, no leaks, engine and trans solid. I just cant figure it out!

Should I get a diagnostic on it? Will it throw a code? Anyone else experience this?
I have no issues besides this! And I don't want it to lead to something else, if its trying to warn me of something!!!!!

Thanks!
Look forward to seeing and learning a bunch of stuff!
First jeep owner for over 2 years, I won't own another vehicle besides her!

Thanks all!

Attachments

Welcome to the forum I have to confess, this is a new one on me. You are talking about the chimes for key on etc?

beep at 45

Yea, like when it chimes when you first turn on like normal.... it will chime again at 45 EXACTLY but only when it hits it for the first time, and wont chime again.

No indicator lights come on, no over heating, no slipping, no nothing.

Now i did read and being as i have a bulb out on the bottom right of my dash, i have read that they will chime to indicate a bulb out?

Also, the temp has been steady right in the middle, but being said, after sitting overnight, and turning on, it jumps right up to half way. But doesn't go any further, doesn't over heat, nothing.

I don't think its normal for it to be that high, let alone jump up there automatically once started. But, doesn't chime, until hitting 45 and not again after.

Now, it did have a recall on the fan a while ago, not sure if was replaced or not, but is there a way to find out if it was?
Could i need a new thermostat? I don't leak anything, tranny and motor are strong. Doesn't slip nothing. This is my only problem ((besides i have a small oil leak from the pan, its the original, so need to replace that and the gasket) but this dinging is driving me nuts! Especially since it only does it once and not again!

I know i have a bulb out, could the indicator maybe be in that exact spot and im not seeing it because its out? Or its just chiming to let me know that the bulb is out like i read?

Im at a loss, i have had everything else inspected and theres nothing.

If i got a diagnostic done on it, you think it would pull a code and possible tell me?

All help is welcome and new ideas!!!!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

On my ZJ, if the child safety features are engaged, the doors will lock once I get to 35. Could it be something like that? That's about the only thing I can think of.

I don't know if my child safety features are on! How would i find that out? Would it be on the navigation up top in those settings? Thats where i reset the miles everytime i get an oil change and change the filter. But never changed anything else.

It also has two devices under neath the back seats on each side im not sure what are for. Bolted in the floor. One says some kind of navigation, another is some kind of amp, player i don't know, but not sure how or what they are.

Like i said, when i got it had original spare never used, all the jacks and four way was still in the plastic wrap, it has only had one owner, but when i looked up the vin it had a ton of recalls, the fan, suspension, ball joints etc.......and if its the fan that cools the motor and all that down, and has a recall, but doesn't say was replaced how can i find out?

Call a dealership? Take it in? I got lucky with this jeep at almost 19 years old, i don't want anything to go wrong with it. Especially major.

Thanks ALL!!!!!

Cycle the key to the on position(but don't start it) and back to off 3 times and codes will be displayed on your odometer. Don't use a paper clip that is for OBD1 vintage vehicles. Yours is OBD2. Also your fan is hydraulic , it runs off the power steering pump . Check your power steering fluid levels regularly.

Ok guys! All fluids are good, and no codes are pulling up! Im at a loss!
I also took into a mechanic and nothing!!!!! Im going crazy! Could it be that its just telling me my dash bulb is out (where indicators are) like i researched? Heard they do that!

Also, is it normal for it to be running at 210 (temp gauge right in the middle)
Even when i first start it, after a second its all the way to half immediately! Even after sitting all night, and starting for the first time! I feel that it shouldn't be, atleast right away!

Please help with any info you can!
Thanks!

Discussion starter · #80 · (Edited)
4 liters heat up quickly. That seems a little quick for a 4.7 though. Flush it, maybe you’ve got a plug somewhere

As to the dinging: does your dash computer display show anything? My 5.9 ZJ has a bad solder joint in the dash computer and it’ll ding and try to tell me the hatch is open. Sometimes the screen goes bad and it’ll still ding an alert but not show anything. Any fluctuations in the gauges? Could be indicating a drop in oil pressure, voltage or a faulty reading of low fuel.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya

61 - 80 of 137 Posts