Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, who knows how to get off a pushbutton shifter handle in a 94 XJ? Got a new selector indicator from the boneyard to replace my ratty original, but I can't figure out how to get the shifter handle off to take old indicator plate off and new one on. Somebody had already yanked the handle at the junkyard, or I'd have figured out how to do it there! Chiltons guide says to "lift up firmly" on the shift handle. Shuuuuure. Don't want to wind up killing my shifter and not being able to shift!! Anyone taken theirs off?:brickwall:
P.S. Has anyone noticed that the clock on this site doesn't seem to be very accurate? Posting at about 10:10 PM central time and it seems to think it's about 4 AM !!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im about 99.9 percent sure you just pull it up really hard, i remember reading somewhere that it helps to put the shifter in first gear and pull from the back seat. Hope it helps ya out. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Yes... as a matter of factly, i do know!

:rofl:

:agree: Shifter in "1-2" from the back seat. Try not to knock out your teeth when it finally comes off!

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoShifterHandles.htm

You really should install a ZJ handle also. It was a Great Mod on my Jeep...

Just so you know, the XJ shifter is straight and the ZJ shifter has a slight bend to it. Therefore, So does the handle. The fit isn't perfect without some persuasion...

IIRC, i had to pound the ZJ handle down the last 1/4" or so with a rubber mallet to get it to "sit" correctly.

Hope this helps!
;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Best/easy way. Engage park brake. Turn key to acc or on pos. Throw the shifter into first. Get in the back seat and pull.
Easiest way to replace the bezel is probably put shifter into neutral, pull off old one, install new one. push hand back on. Smack it if it needs that little extra.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for their help! Put shifter in 1-2 gear and pulled up and it came right off! I tried doing it in park before and it wouldn't budge, so that extra leverage really helped! Thanks again! Jim

·
Registered
840 Posts
I discovered how mine comes off, while holding on to it during a hard acceleration in 1st gear in my backyard.

If you saw how small my yard is, you might not believe it.

·
Registered
1990 Wagoneer Limited
2 Posts
Does the simple "Pull it up" procedure work for a 1990 Tee Handle on an automatic transmission?

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Yes, it's the same procedure..
In 1-2 from the back seat.
As mentioned, watch your teeth!
🤣

1 - 10 of 10 Posts