Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Axle nut size

98K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  XJSuperman 
#1 ·
Help I tried to seach for it but I could not find it and I know this has been asked and asked.... BUT What size the the front Axle nut size.. I was told 32 but it does not fit.. Freken mech at dodge dealers ....

#9 ·
Yah - that "12-point" dingus is a retainer cap (why they couldn't just use a castellated nut, I don't know...)

Remove cotter, remove retainer, remove nut. Service bearing/shaft/whatever you're doing. Reinstall nut - torque to, I believe, 175 pound-feet (spec's on my site under Tech Archives, link in sig. All specs taken from FSMs. I just don't have all FSMs. Yet...) If your torque wrench doesn't go to 175 pound-feet, you can use never-seez on the nut threads and reduce that specified torque value by half - 87-88 pound-feet. Your torque wrench should be able to handle that neatly.

Install retainer. If the slots won't line up, tighten the nut slightly until they will. Replace cotter pin with new - never reuse a cotter pin!

#12 ·
Just wanted to add... when you remove that retainer (after you remove the cotter pin), you'll see a "wave" washer. This is not broken or defective, it's how it's supposed to be. You'll want to make sure to reuse that wave washer and not replace it with a regular one.

#13 ·
thanks guys... I just needed the nut size I have done this before but it has not been for 5 or 6 years... but the hole refresure cours was great...
5-90 Man you know your stuff and I have to say most people say I go into way to much detal when explaning things...lol I think I have found a new Friend.........:cheers: and thanks for the info guys..... this should be all in a thread to be kept for others to use.....Keyl

#14 ·
Wow thanks for putting the effort into that long explanation 5-90; I notice most of your posts at NAXJA are the same way. Yes it does make complete sense now.

But I gotta ask - where are you getting this information from? Are you a mechanical engineer?

#15 ·
Anytime guys - I like to teach! That's why I'm writing books now.

I figure since I can't manage to work for anyone else anymore, I need to find something productive to do - so I write. And, hopefully, it will sell. One book out, working on two more, and at least one more planned...

#17 ·
Wow, dead thread resurrection. Somehow I remember skating by with a 36mm, but remember it being sloppy. I was borrowing a socket back then, and my choices were really limited. I have no idea if it changed over the years or what, but I agree, 36 was wrong. I love 5-90 and his info, he can be a walking encyclopedia, but by his count I think much of my stuff is twice as tight as it should be. Its not though, as my hubs operate fine and spin correctly. Certainly an eyeopener and something to watch for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.