Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some tips on replacing the front shafts. I got a set of shafts from a friend of mine with only 10k on them and I have the small u-joints and they are basically gone sounds like birds in my front end. I need some tips on how to go about changing them out.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
It's very easy. You'll need a 6-point 36MM socket (for a 1/2 drive), a breaker bar and possibly a pipe or something to slide over the handle, a 1/2 ratchet, and needle nosed pliers.

I think I remember that you have the Soft 8's, and I think the first few steps can be done with the rim/tire on. Remove the cotter pin, remove the (I always forget the proper name) the thing that cotter pin is holding in place, then remove the wave washer. Now put the 36mm on the nut and get it loose. This part is very hard to do with the axle on jack stands because you're putting so much torque on it that it could cause the Jeep to fall off the stands. Once that nut is broken loose, then remove the tire, finish loosening the nut, and remove the shaft.

Reverse the process for installation.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
There are also three bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. They are 12 point.........and now i forgot the size. Darn it, but anyways, 3 bolts and a couple wacks of the hammer and the hub should come off.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Not a hard job. a word of caution, mine had "a bird" sound in it and it was the front driveshafy ujoints and centering ball kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not the front d-shaft sound only changes with speed not RPM and you can hear it as they tires turn out side of the truck one side is a lot louder then the other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys, my budget axle upgrade is done, 4 hours start to finish including a lunch and tool run brake. No major issues other then dealing with rust weld on the hubs. Also put new brake pads and rotors on while i was under there. All in all a good project total $150 including new rotors pads 36mm socket new 3/8ths drive ratchet and a 1/2 to 3/8s adapter and the axles (that i got for free)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts