Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a nice custom front bumper but yet i have a universal hitch in the back witch sits down like a foot and is horrible off road.....

so i have been lookin for a bumper with a built in receiver and maybe some d rings anyone got a good suggestion?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its not a popular name but i have seen the tubular one thats available from rustys ........
i like it because it matches my tubular front bumper and it has the hitch. anyone seen one similar ?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I know its not a popular name but i have seen the tubular one thats available from rustys ........
i like it because it matches my tubular front bumper and it has the hitch. anyone seen one similar ?
To me, tube bumpers on a XJ looks like an unmade bed. You see stuff you aren't meant to see. ;)

That is one reason I went with DetoursUSA design. It covers all the same stuff the OEM bumper did.

Most people are not as concerned about the looks of their XJ as I am of mine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm biased, but tube bumpers make me think of Daisy Duke......it's no longer 1979........Thanks for the memory.....excuse me for a moment!:rofl:

I cant view this, so no offense if it's deleted: YouTube - Daisy Duke

·
Registered
104 Posts
I prefer tube bumper. But I make all my own stuff and have a tubing bender so I am biased.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks for the linky to Daisy Duke....AHHH, reliving my youth!! She almost gave me carpel tunnel!!!:bow:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I'm biased, but tube bumpers make me think of Daisy Duke......it's no longer 1979........Thanks for the memory.....excuse me for a moment!:rofl:

I cant view this, so no offense if it's deleted: YouTube - Daisy Duke
I saw her at a car show in Houston. She was much smaller than I expected, actually she was BITE sized. :rofl:

I'll add I like the tube bumpers on the TJ's CJ's etc...

·
Registered
410 Posts
To me, tube bumpers on a XJ looks like an unmade bed. You see stuff you aren't meant to see. ;)

That is one reason I went with DetoursUSA design. It covers all the same stuff the OEM bumper did.

Most people are not as concerned about the looks of their XJ as I am of mine.
I'm with you on this 10,000%. I too am very particular about the look of my Jeep, and Detours is definitely the way to go. Not cheap, but worth it.

BTW, The OP never mentioned a spending limit ... I wonder how much he's looking to spend. Judging by his problem (a hitch hanging too low) he could simply get a different hitch. My factory hitch has taken many hits that would have otherwise been caught by the body, bumper or gas tank ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the linky to Daisy Duke....AHHH, reliving my youth!! She almost gave me carpel tunnel!!!:bow:

That.........and my arthritus toooo! :rofl:

Wifes girlfriend looks just like her.......I have to leave the house when she visits........:brickwall:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Who me? Well you really should go to their website. I priced mine with a tire carrier included & lights (I think) and I was almost at $700. But I'll be getting it anyway providing I don't get laid off from my job.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Who me? Well you really should go to their website. I priced mine with a tire carrier included & lights (I think) and I was almost at $700. But I'll be getting it anyway providing I don't get laid off from my job.
None of the bumpers are on the website any longer. Just go to the website and use the contact us page.

It's called the slimline bumper. Smooth, smooth with diamond plate ends. With or without tire carrier. I think the only reason he's not pushing those now is because the shipping is so high. The options were backup lights and built in 2" receiver (if I remember correctly). Anyway Mark can tell ya.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I built mine for around $100 more or less. Used some 3x5" tubing and some scrap 3/16" plate. Reciever was on an old hitch which I cut off and incorporated into the tubing.
How much of your time did it take to build? What hourly rate would you charge if you were building it for someone else? How much training did you have in welding prio to this project? How much is the equipment you used to build the bumper?

No need to answer, but this is how I looked at it when I bought the bumper ready made. I am certain I could build a fully functional bumper myself, but there's going to be a learning curve and expense for the equipment needed to build it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i built mine too, took a little less than an hour. i used 2x4 on both on both my front/rear bumper. very simple, yet effective. make some mounts, angel the ends, and weld on some d-rings and slap some paint on it. u could torch out the center and weld in a receiver as bluexj did... sorry for the crappy pic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts